XJ parts interchange thru the years?

volaredon

As some of you might already know my 01 XJ got totalled this past Sunday. I just brought home a 97 to replace it. I want to buy back the 01 and part it out. I am wanting to save the most likely to need parts for the 97.
1) will the trans interchange? (Both AW4)
2) If I pull the cam sensor (cut off dist) and put a conventional distributor in the 01 engine (and of course remove the coil pack) would the 01 engine work in the 97?
3) will a NP 242 (full time/part time) T case interchange with a 231? the wrecked 01, had the 242. if not I have someone with dibs on my 242.

I know the alt is different; I just replaced the one on the 01; (junkyard repl) as I got the replacement off the 99 and held it up against one from a 98; the wiring hookup is different. unitl that I thought 97-01 were pretty much "blanket" interchangeable.
what else would be worth keeping?
This is assuming they LET me buy it back at a reasonable price. I have a buddy needing the front diff for his 2000 that was totalled itself a few weeks ago. Everything his needs is good on mine. (and HE just rebuilt that front diff like 6 weeks ago, that's why he wants mine) He has offered me 1/2 the buyback, for the front diff driveshaft and front susp arms.
My Jeep still runs/drives like it always did, pre-wreck. now it's just "beat up".

The transfer cases will interchange, all the way down to the shifter bezel.

are the driveshafts the same between the 2 different T cases? I ask that because I know they are different between a Dana 35 and an 8-1/4 all else being equal. so I don't wanna swap T case, and not have the right driveshaft combo because the 2 Jeeps have different rear ends in them.
Oh; and the transmissions; I'd like to hang onto the one out of the 01 for a spare but the junkyard says '98-01, supposedly 97 "won't" work.

On the 4.0; can I take the "cam sensor" out and put in a conventional distributor? or am I "stuck" running the coul pack type ignition? I see a 97 on Craigslist with a bad engine that I'm looking into. (then I'd have 3 jeeps not including the wreck; all '97s if I get that one with the bad engine too)

Last edited:
Back