XJ test pipe

jeepmaster

ok im sorry to bring this back up, but ive been having tons of trouble messing with this @*^(%*@# cat. im cutting it completly out now and having a test pipe made at a local shop, they just need the dimensions. does anyone out there have an XJ with a test pipe on it? or know the dimensions i need? i tried to measure it but i just ended up getting soaked (snow) and very upset with the whole thing. any help would be great. thanks~max[addsig]

instead of a test pipe being welded (?) in, why not just go to pep boys, and buy like, 2 feet of pipe (ID of new pipe matching OD of old pipe) (inside diameter/outside diameter if you don't know my lingo) :)... buy some clamps, and clamp that thing on! :) much cheaper than paying a shop to do anything...[addsig]

remember - haha, probably should have specified EXHAUST pipe

and yea dingus i agree with you, im gonna do the clamps and such. ill post the dimensions of my pipe as soon as i get it in case any of the rest of you want to do it. an XJ has the 2" exhaust piping correct? my friend thought it was 2.5 but i measured the exhaust tip which makes up most of the system as the muffler is mounted mid jeep, and it was just a little over 2". any one know the official size of the piping. if it wasnt -7 i could get out there and do some in depth measuring and such.[addsig]

Not to be a stick in the mud, but do you guys have emissions inspections where you are? I'm not condoning anything illegal...but, I've heard of people gutting cats...trust me, it's not that hard. And looks legal too. :)[addsig]

In Tennessee we are pretty much on our own, no state inspection. I've railed out several cats, and basically with a piece of iron water pipe, you too, and be the envy of all your friends with freer flowing exhaust.[addsig]

in PA (where i live) there are sniffer tests... i'll just have to swap in my cat when i bring it in for inspection i guess.[addsig]

jeepmaster...A quick and easy way to measure the diameter of the section of pipe you are cutting out is to take a tape measure and measure the circumference of the pipe (length around the pipe) and divide by 3.14 A 2" pipe would be about 6.25" around. Quick and easy.

edited by: judge09, Feb 26, 2003 - 09:51 AM[addsig]

nate- ive got a 96 sport

vfrf- nope we've got no tests or anything. (as far as illegal goes im more worried about tint, ive got 13% up front and i believe the legal limit is 85%, oh well its only $$, better than havin my stuff stolen)

judge- aaaah pi, i hate math, i measured around the outside of the pipe and i came up with 8 inches (this was around the outside) so now im gonna divide this by pi, and yep i got 2.5" (wow, math thats actually practical, and actually worked)

thanks a lot you guys. ill let you know how it turns out, and maybe even get some audio cuts of the old exhaust vs. the new. thanks again[addsig]

My inspection is due in March and Rhode Island is extremly strict on emissions, after that I'll be trying the test pipe in place of the cat............Bullet[addsig]

good luck with that, my only advice is soak those bolts, that way you dont have to cut it off like i did. and you can just swap out a hollow cat and a real cat.[addsig]

soaking the bolts or not, you're still gonna have to consider that the bolts undergo extreme temperature changes and probably won't come out whether you soak them or not. [addsig]

Back