Yj Cage in a CJ?

Jambo21

I was recently in a small fender bender with my 8 and 4.5 year old boys with me. I only have a sport bar with lap belts in the back seat of my CJ. I want to get a "family" cage out of a YJ so Ican at least get them shoulder belts and a little more cgae around them in case something worse happens. What sort of modification do I need to do to a "family" cage so it will fit my CJ? If I opt out of connecting the cage to the winshield can I just swap out the two style cages?

depends on what CJ you have, the family cage is a direct bolt in. if you have a CJ7, it's a direct swap, CJ8 slight modifications to get it in, you'll have to abandon the 1/2 top

CJ5 with factory cage, not the wheel well cage, I am guessing you could make it fit, but to that extent, not worth it.

with the spreader bars, you will have to drill out the windshield and weld in some nuts to accept the spreader bolts. I have not verified this, but I have heard that some 85 and 86 models have the threaded holes already for the soft top. I honestly do not know.

Just recently I sold the aft 'wheel well' section of a CJ 5 family cage, 6 point. No sign of a maker but the reason I cut the aft section off is that it interfered with the lowering/raising of the soft top bows. Luckily a local fab shop took the front hoops of the cage and grafted it to a 4 point fender bar. It came out looking like a factory cage, these guys do great work, but I digress. The original family cage that was in "Betty" did not appear to be home fabbed, so at some time someone must have made a family cage for the CJ 5's.

Back