yj seat placement questions

anarchyfor2

hey guys, after reading numerous posts about new seats, and moving exixsting seats, have one additional question, i saw one post that said " my seat hits the roll bar when i have it moved all the way back" so im lead to believe that an adjustable or sliding seat track moves the seat back from the wheel considerably more than my flip up ones, is this correct? i would make a brace or something for it, but im 6'7 and i feel like my head is above the windshield already. and if the slider does move further back, is it something i can swap out with my exixting brackets. thanks for all the help so far, ill have pics up soon.

I am not sure how you started out this project, but both Bestop and Rugged Ridge make seat sliders which may work for your application. They do add a little height though. Call us at 877-553-5337 with any questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm guessing you have an earlier yj. I ran into a problem putting my center console in, the jeep I got it out of was an 89 yj and had different brackets than both of my 93's. I checked with another 89 and they both had the same stock flip up brackets. I don't know what year they changed them though. The newer style brackets put the seat closer to the middle of the jeep which is how they miss the roll bar easier, but they just slide(no flipping up). If you're moving the seat backwards though neither style bracket will work because they both fit around the countours of the floor and are pressed back against a ledge. You'd have to do some custom fabbing to move the seats backwards.

A wise man once said "Become master of the obvious & you will be one of the smartest".
Your seat can go back as far it has no obstructions!
If there is a ledge it will bang into thats as far as it can go w/o raising it up which you at 6'7" don't want to do!
If you slide your seat all the way to the rear and it could go another little bit (ie:4") before it will hit (the ledge etc.) - this can be accomplished by mounting the seat to a flat plate (ie: 1/8" steel or 3/16" alum) and than drill the holes for the track to mount in the plate positioned so that the seat now goes back further and all you've added id the thickness of the plate.

Back