your first jeep ride

Gennybro

What was your first jeep ride that you remember? Mine was when I was 5 or 6 years old,{53 now} My grandfather had a hunting camp and I remember going up there in the jeep and him telling me the windshield wipers was operated by air,stopping at the spring at the bottom of the mountain for a drink before we finished our journey up the mountain to the cabin.At the spring he showed me the wintergreen plant and told me to chew it,I thought it strange but did what I was told and was pleasantly surprised.

i bought my 93 wrangler 4cyl 5spd w.o any knowledge of driving stick. i hated that thing for a good week figuring it out and getting flipped off for stalling at green lights. hahaha i miss that yj

CJ 5 I borrowed from my Older brother... I will never forget it. It was brown with a hard top, and the door handles were the round ceramic house door knobs. Still havent figured out how he had those on there but at 16 it didnt matter to me. I was Rolling!

My friend and some buddies from high school were tooling around in his dad's military Willys MB on a Saturday...when I asked if I could drive the Jeep. He let me take the wheel and I promptly took it up the back side of a Corp of Engineers dam at a nearby lake. That old Willys just kept on climbing with no effort.

However, this being illegal, I had to talk my way out of a large fine from the Corp security waiting for us at the bottom of the dam. Sure was fun though...and I really didn't know it was illegal at the time. :redface:

Buddies dad took us wheeling in his ol willys wagon. I was impressed with it. The thing was daunting to drive though. Twin stick transmission, no power steering or brakes. I think I was 13 or 14 and a capable driver, but holy cow. I might as well have been in a 747. I still have never drivin it (transmission is shot now) but it would still be a learning process with what I believe is the "overdrive" stick? Still not sure on that lol. Wanted a jeep ever since.

My husband brought home a Grand Cherokee that I drove for a few years, and until I bought the JK two weeks ago, the only time I rode in it was when I test drove it.

My dad owned an old rusted out CJ 5 when he lived in Georgia and he always told me he had a baking too and when it rained the water would drain through the rust wholes in the bottom. But he got rid of it when he had me once he told me how much he loved it I had to have one although I had never ridden in a jeep till I test drove one then shortly after I bought one

First time was when I drove my brother's (Mud4feet) soon-to-be-wife's (Mudwoman) '94 YJ on some of the trails in the Smoky Mountains in western NC. I was hooked immediately! Got back home to Dayton/OH and Jeep (YJ/CJ/TJ) hunting. Finally found one I liked after a couple of months and been "Jeepin'" ever since! And it felt great getting that 1st "jeep wave"! Nothing like drivine around with the top & doors off!

my dad had a 90 when i was in high school. we went all over camp lejeune in that thing. then he lost in the ship channel out jumping dunes one night.

My 90 YJ. Went to a car lot to buy a 4x4 dakota, but it had been bought. So I see this Big Red Jeep on 33's so I go check it out. It was all clean and shiny. Looking up at the soft top I noticed it sagging real low. So I push it up to see how bad it was and a wave of fresh rain water poured down my lower back. So I bought it. After 10 years of hard miles under my leaded foot, she died and was in the work for a bbc and 4 links. but baby came and Killed big red. Bought a 92 yj sahara later on, and drove it till the wife was tired of hauling kids in it. So it got sold for an 88 xj limited. What I want in a wrangler i have found in a cherokee. But what I want in a cherokee the wrangler has. Guess my next jeeps going to be a JK.

Attachments

• 206697_1806415254603_1666560391_1804095_6196962_n.jpg
    206697_1806415254603_1666560391_1804095_6196962_n.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 221
  • 76300_1601236405260_1666560391_1431432_3843253_n.jpg
    76300_1601236405260_1666560391_1431432_3843253_n.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 218
  • May 2011 cuyamaca trip 001.jpg
    May 2011 cuyamaca trip 001.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 147
What was your first jeep ride that you remember? Mine was when I was 5 or 6 years old,{53 now} My grandfather had a hunting camp and I remember going up there in the jeep and him telling me the windshield wipers was operated by air,stopping at the spring at the bottom of the mountain for a drink before we finished our journey up the mountain to the cabin.At the spring he showed me the wintergreen plant and told me to chew it,I thought it strange but did what I was told and was pleasantly surprised.

1966, was employed by Uncle Sam at the time. He dragged me from the comfort of NJ to the wilds of Ft Hood, Texas and made me a Light Vehicle Driver. Never drove a Jeep before that. It was a totally enjoyable experience, had a blast on the trails of Ft Hood.

i was 5 and my mom had just bought a new 99 jeep cherokee, my earliest memory was us driving up a steep dirt hill to get to my grandpas house, my mom kept it long enough that i rode to school in it every day and learned to drive in it, an when i turned 15 she bought a new JK and gave the cherokee to me :) i love this jeep so much, i cant see myself ever selling it

i was 5 and my mom had just bought a new 99 jeep cherokee, my earliest memory was us driving up a steep dirt hill to get to my grandpas house, my mom kept it long enough that i rode to school in it every day and learned to drive in it, an when i turned 15 she bought a new JK and gave the cherokee to me :) i love this jeep so much, i cant see myself ever selling it

thats a cool story

I was about 10 and we rented. Jeep while on vacation in Greece. Climbed past several other 4-wheel drive vehicles that got stuck on the way to the look out... Wanted one since.

my first jeep was an 84 cj. i loved it before i drove it and wish i still had it. since then i have owned a 89 cherokee ,87 cherokee 87 wrangler and now i have a 2005 wrangler. all of them had been great jeeps but i will always miss the 84 cj. the first is always the best.:rolleyes:

Back