YY extreme coil link suspension..

josh94yj

Has anyone tried or know of anyone who has tired an extreme coil link suspension conversion kit on thier YJ? if so then I would love to know how well they work, and the ones i have seen say they will only work with the stock dana 35, but wondering why this is and how it is possible, there has to be a way to convert any axle!

I know fabtech makes one for use with stock axles. Its done with coil up front and an SOA type leaf set up in the rear. Huge price tag at 6K+
Most of the others I've seen are all 6"+ lift and say not to use the 35.
Those also cost alot, ya might as well sell the YJ and buy a TJ.

NO, they are all way over priced and there is little to no fine tunability to the set up. the poly "kit" is probably one of the better kits, I prefer to simply buy generic link mounts from Balistic, Ruff Stuff, or BTF, then I pretty much fab everything myself. I prefer to have a very low ride height with the largest tire possible, i find that the poly kit (which I have installed a rear kit on a YJ) sits awefully high. I ened up only using the links and mounts and made my own shock mounts, was able to drop the ride height by about 3 inches total.

yeah i know they are expensive lol but i already have over 40k invested in parts on my yj and did all the work myself, was just wondering if anyone knew how good they are or how well they work out. But if theres lil to no adjustments on them then that is a MAJOR draw back!! i like the idea of fabbing stuff myself lol thanks everyone

most kits are designed to fit the vehicle with as little modifications as possible; it's what makes them desirable to the average garage builder, they also only have one option for link location, so you basically tied to teh peramitters that the manufacturer specified. Most link suspensions that I have built I have had cut the rear floor up for the upper link mounts so that I can get plenty of vertical seperation at the frame, "kits" do not do this, in turn you end up with less than Ideal center squat, tall ride height, and link mounts that hang lower on the frame.
I've also had to cut off the rear of the frame and re-build it for clearence. I will add though, a lot of this is done based on my design, you can buy a gen right kit and install it and it will be a lot "nicer" than a leaf spring suspension, performance wise, you will get more wheel travel, but durability and reliability become a factor as with any link suspension. re-buildable links will require maitenance often, teh delron bushings will need to be replaced often, as much as every year for a daily driver. if one link fails on the trail, your kinda in a jam. I've installed leaf springs and have left them there for years with out any maintance, I beat the living crap out of them and they rarely let me down. I have bent a couple springs and I have broken one, but I was still able to driver out with bent or broken springs.

wow thanks!! was just wondering about the kits bc i want more travel, but i do agree that leafs are QUITE durable!! think i might just do a shackle reversal kit and a SOA. But i have to get smaller springs, the 4" springs i have on it now will be WAY to high with a SOA kit!!

whats your desired tire size? I run a 36" tire with what was a 3.5" spring that have settled to about 3" total. personally with SOA, I would not run anything smaller than a 38" tire

Back