Zen and the art of bolt removal

Turbogus

Well, it was time to replace the starter in my '81 E-150 Econoline w/300. Bottom bolt removed without much effort (9/16 head) but as for the top bolt it was a reduced head bolt (1/2") showing signs of being corroded in place.
80fb8x40_75aca16b0a9b69c7547ab3c3d5988a8-1.jpg

Trying a 3/8 drive socket on a 6 inch extension (nesessary for clearance) try as I might I couldn't budge the dang thing despite my Orangutan arms. No problem I have an old Craftsman 1/2 inch drive with a 16" breaker bar. From under the van a went feeling for the offending bolt and placing the socket on it and again, it took a concerted amount of effort before the socket slipped off of the bolt head, stripping it. :-arrgh
I was about to P!ss on the fire and call the dog on this when my best friend stopped by and relating what I was up to he took a look and he got some of his tools to attack this bolt. First we attempted to drive on a slightly smaller metric throwaway socket with my 5 lb. mallet to drive it on but with a tiny shoulder of the head of that damm bolt we couldn't get enough bite.
I then tried my little Benomatic torch on it to see if I could free it up followed by failed attempt with a pair of needle nosed vice grips. We then tried some penetrating oil and let it set for a spell, then using the throwaway socket impacting the bolt with the mallet again to no avail.
It is very tight quarters in this part of the engine compartment despite the I6 being skinnier than the V8, the exhaust pipe is right in the way with no means of removing it due to other clearance issues.
80wp_20160215_13_58_28_pro_28ef7570488d7-1.jpg

80wp_20160215_13_58_08_pro_978898bcd2ff1-1.jpg

80wp_20160215_13_58_14_pro_e3d023726b784-1.jpg

80new_c0f811e725b249b5622a0f27537aad9c30-1.jpg

80wp_20160215_13_58_34_pro_f899ecad1ab30-1.jpg

80wp_20160215_13_58_28_pro_e64fea9e23175-1.jpg

We then checked to see if we could squeeze in a 4 inch grinder to grind the head off of the bolt, but as you can see from the photos it's just too tight. My friend then broke out his Sawzall and with a new metal blade tried to get a bead on the bolt head but the throw of the blade kept throwing him off of his mark. So it was up to my Dremel tool with the kit of tiny 3/4 inch cutoff wheels. To get it even with the axis of the bolt head it took my friend on the top side (from the doghouse nacelle) and me working from underneath to manipulate the switch. We went through 4 cutoff wheels and another attempt with the Sawzall and we were very close to the mounting flange, so we stopped to see if we could break the starter past what little there was left of the bolt head~it held fast. :-arrgh. Beating it with my 5 lb. mallet to release some frustration and to see if there was any deflection we found the starter was moving a tiny bit. Using the Dremel once again and the cutoff wheels carefully shaving off by the fraction of a millimeter what I thought were the remnants of the bolt head... still it held fast. Taking my mallet and adjusting my body position for better leverage a beat on the starter with all the force I could muster and finally it dropped on my chest with the bolt threads protruding thround the mounting flange on the bellhousing. I bumped it with the trouble light and my frined saw the bolt move a tiny bit~sure enough the bolt was free and now could be removed using my fingers.
you can bet we used a conventional 9/16 head bolt on that damm thing when we mounted up the new starter. Total time spent on this single bolt was 5 1/4 hours.
:-roll

Last edited:

I ended up snapping one off in my F150. It doesn't always work but soaking it a few days ahead with pb blaster and using an impact gun or wrench does wonders.

That was painful to just read, let alone the the pain and frustration you went through. I hate those kind of repairs.

300, helluva torque monster.

Next time try to get a 220 stick welder to the head of the bolt, either to heat the bolt head, weld a nut to it, or crank up the amps and blow the head right off the bolt. Often times just the heat from a small bead will break the bolt loose.

holy crap, that sucked. i felt the same way when the shock bolts broke on the cherokee. i just welded bolts in place instead of trying to drill those out so now the cherokee has shock studs instead of having put bolts in place.

Glad you got it out. I usually end up having to quit for a day and come back to it.

Wish I had friends who like turning wrenches.

My friend remarked he didn't mind working on my rig, but when it comes to his own it's another story. Tempers run high, wrenches are flung, parts are kicked...

a ford 300 six - I take it. I have a home made solution that penetrates better than any thing you can buy -- it stinks bad though. as far as that goofy bolt head - drive a metric socket on it with a hand slege and use a 3/4 rattle gun. later vinn

Not enough clearance for an Impact Wrench on that setup.

clearance is relative. as we go thru life as a knuckle buster, the good ones always find their way. --vinn

Back