ZJ Brake problem

LRwrnglr

So i came down to texas for a vacation and my uncle asked me a question about his zj. its a 97 with the 4.0. he said the "ABS" light stays on but he's already replaced all the brakes, all the way around. He wants to know if this light is something to worry about and how to fix it without spending an arm and a leg. Also his rear end is goin out and was wondering what a good swap would be. Thanks

LR

He also said that it wont come on until the motor is warmed up, probably after about twenty minutes. Thanks

LR

a short or something? faulty sensor? could be any number of things. an ABS light coming on doesn't mean that the pads or rotors need to be replaced, it means that your anti-lock brakes aren't going to work. has nothing to do with the life of the brakes that are currently installed. hell, i had the ABS light on for over a year in my zj because i swapped my front shafts out for ones without tone rings on them, which is the way that the ABS works. clean a sensor? i dunno, there are a lot of things that it could be like i said, but start troubleshooting, start doing the simple and logical stuff and hope something works.

tell him to buy himself a chilton's manual. honestly though, how mechanically inclined is he? cause troubleshooting if you know what you're doing is one thing, but to tell someone to start troubleshooting, who really doesn't know which parts they're troubleshooting and why, really isn't the best idea. especially with something like brakes :)

First off, the easiest way is to clear the code and see if it comes back. You can get a little piece of metal on there and it will come on. Just turn the ZJ off and then turn the key three times, all the way back to off each time, on the third turn keep the key in the on position, this should clear the light on the dash. I got new brakes done a while back and the light came on after the install, I had this issue and it is all good just try that and let me know how that works. Good luck... JOE>

Back