zj clunking noise

suthrn98

ok my wife has a 94 zj with v8, 4x4, everything. We just bought it a few months ago, and when we are goign like less than 10 mph, I can hear a clunking noise, that sounds like the rearend. Someone once told me that this is normal on ZJ's with autotrac. I don't believe JEEP would have made a vehicle with a noise like this. Anyone else ever had this problem?

Absolutely believe that Jeep would do something like that......... just look at the fact that on 4.0 manifolds there is a 75% failure rate around 100K miles........ every auto parts store stocks a few of them, and jeep themselves charges $1200 for the repair!
Take your faith out of Jeep themselves, believe in your own rig!

Does it happen when braking or just coasting?
If it is braking, try using your handbrake and not your foot pedal (somewhere safe)
If the klunk happens with the hand brake have a shop look at your drums(brakes)
If it doesn't happen with the handbrake you would be looking more at a bearing problem or a driveline/differential issue.
I am by no means an expert at this, I have just been dealing with the same issues.
Just find a Meineke or Les Schwab, have them diagnos it, then shop around!
Local auto parts counter guys will usually help point you in the right direction as well, just don't go there in a suit!

well it does it when accelerating, braking and coasting under about 10-15 mph. Its probably some kind of bearing in the drivetrain . I am gonna look into it this weekend, and hopefully it won't be a costly fix right here at Xmas.

RE: Re: H-4 headlights

I feel your pain........
I just lost my 04 explorer in a divorce..... bought a clean 92 XJ 4.0 with 155K.....
in the past month I have done brake drums, alignment, all 4 shocks, tires, exhaust manifold, all new chasis bushings, and now I am looking at rear bearings myself...... not to mention I actually want to put some fun stuff into it......... no gifts this year (except the winch bumper and winch I am buying myself!)

Back