Frame rust

toyman

The CJ-7 I just got has some serious rust developing at one of the rear spring hangers.

Is there an easy way to repair this without cutting out the rust
& replacing the frame section?

I just completed this repair on my '85 CJ7. Ordered frame plates from M.O.R.E for the rear section where the spring hangers are located. Cleaned up the rusted section and welded the pre-cut frame plates. Plates were included where the spring hangers bolt to the frame. Real good stuff, although I haven't tested it out on the trail yet. Hopes this helps. Good luck!

I repaired the rusted frame by;
removing the body perch from the frame above the rear spring hanger.
Fabricate & weld in steel plating & angle irons around the spring hanger & along frame.
Modified the body mount & rewelded it back on top of new bracing.
It's much stronger now than original.
*Note to all CJ owners if you go mudding.
Wash out everything underneath very thoroughly or you'll be
repairing rust damage someday.

Sounds like a good repair. I had to do the same where my front left shock broke and ripped the shock mount off the frame with it. I used some angle iron to repair it. It worked well because I also used the platform to make a mount for my orbital valve when I went to hydraulic steering. It made a much flatter surface to work with than the factory welded CJ frame.

My repair got a very thorough test this weekend. I caught some major air off some steep dunes at night. It's extremely hard to judge the speed you need to climb dunes at night as you can't see the top till your pretty close. Also sometimes it drops off just as quick on the other side so you have to have momentum to clear the top.
I missed judged several times & it was an exhilarating experience amplified by the darkness.
I think I'll be installing some extra lights very soon!!!!!

Back