My wife says "bigger, BIGGER, BIIIIIIIIIGGER!!"

LBR

Found the problem...

We have a 79 CJ-5, 4" suspension lift, lots of engine and braking power with 35" Swampers on 10" rims and want to put on 38's. We want to fill up the wheelwell as much as possible without any more lift. I plan on minor asthetically pleasing sheet metal and flare trimming on the front and rear wells for clearance and don't think there will be any problems. My concern is the steering radius that the 38" tire will reduce. The radius will be diminished some due to tire vs. frame interference on turns. Does anyone know about how much? The plans are to use MKW-MK19 rims (18x10 w/4.5" backspacing) and "temporary" 38/1550R-18 tires for trial fitting purposes in my shop. If they are ABSOLUTELY too tall, then our fall-back will be the same rims with 35/1250R-18, (close to the size of our existing set), still perform sheet metal and flare surgery and then lower the CJ down to fill up the wheelwells with tire. This Jeep will be used on the street so the off roading bug-a-boos won't apply. Has anyone tried the "too big of tire" syndrome similar to this one? LBR

My wife says "bigger, BIGGER, BIIIIIIIIIGGER!!"

Oh god, and I was all prepared to tell you about how this is a family site!!

Hahahahahaheheheheee :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

My 79 CJ5 was on 39" Firestone ATs, but they were about the size of a 38.5" Swamper. 4" suspension, 3" BL, shackles, and heavy trimming with most of the front fenders removed except for the top part. That was still too big of a tire offroad.

It seems like it would be impossible with just a 4" lift.

Coolant leak - heater core

A 6" lift is concidered normal for 35" tires.
You are looking at 8-9 with sheet metal trimming to get 38"s under her.
At this time I would look at putting full size/width dana 60's min to run such a tire this giving you the clearance and flex to run a monster tire.

Gotcha, ips4jeep - we're on the same wave-length, however junkpile was the first to fuel the fire..............he used the "i" word - what a great motivator that was!! LBR

Back