alternator not charging

jasonvess

Well

Just got done putting in a chevy 350 into my jeep, the alternator will not charge it is a 10si or 12si, it is the same type of alternator, the 258 6cyl had. It tests good however will not charge.

I have used the stock alternator wiring to hook it up, therefor one of the wires are disconnected somewhere else in the wiring harness from when i disconnected the 6 cyl.

So my question is where do the 3 wires on the alternator need to go.

Large red wire on battery terminal- To the Battery?
plug with 2 wires one large red and a smaller brown wire- Large red also to battery? what about the little brown one?

any ideas?

I also checked a chilton manual it shows field and battery, but i don't know what field means

Field is a Signal wire. It energizes the "Field" around the Alt and causes it to start charging. That wire will see 12v or so only when the key is turned. Do not hook it to constant power.
If you can't figure it out, Now's a good time to upgrade to a self Exciting unit One wire alternator.

Xjnick is good with the wirring thing, possable short ?

BBJ just went through a whole hell of problems with his alternator... turned out to be a bad 50A fuse for the field wire

ok, it's working, ended up being the feild wire was not getting 12v power when the key was turned on.

thanks for all the help

Back