Body Panel Glue

SeeJay7

RE: TJ lift advice needed

I have heard that there is a product out there that you can glue new body panels on to the old rusted ones with a 3m product instead of spot welding. Has anyone ever used it? is it any good? WHat do you think?

Chris

Stepping Down

Why? Why would you want to do that? If you don't completely get rid of the rust and just cover it up you will probably lose your new panel to rust.

I had a left front fender that was replaced prior to me buying my YJ six years ago. It rusted out again because it was not prepared before it was installed. Before I put the new one on it was sanded, primed, and painted then installed. The key to and good body work is preparation. :)

mike

i know i am sorry i wasnt clear... i already have cut out and/or sanded off all the rust from the old panels. But i now have replacement panels that go over the old panels. Should i glue or stick to the weld?

Chris

SeeJay7 said:
i know i am sorry i wasnt clear... i already have cut out and/or sanded off all the rust from the old panels. But i now have replacement panels that go over the old panels. Should i glue or stick to the weld?

Chris

Sorry if I came off a little strong. I just went through a major renovation with my rig. Personally I would weld, I have no experience with adhesives for body panels.

Gluing the panels sounds simple, but I wonder how they will hold up. Yes welding is dirty, hot, and can be down right nasty,(not to mention expensive if you can't) but the outcome usually gives a stronger and better appearance.

Check out my link below, I have been trying to keep a picture log of the restoration and custom work I am doing to my YJ. Eventually I will do a complete write up, when completed.

It's been fun and very expensive. :wink:

good luck,

mike

RE: Sway bars???????

Yeah, it holds. It takes some time to get the process down to where it looks good. I'd still spot weld the panel in place and use the adhesive to finish it. It is a good product, a buddy of mine used it on the quarter panels of his Chevelle. It removes the possibility of heat warpage, cleanup and finishing is easier, and it doesn't require a welder. If you have questions about the life of an adhesive/sealer on body panels.......go to the junkyard and pop the trunk on the oldest car you can find.....more than likely the factory seam-sealer will still be holding strong.

thanks for the help.....maybe if i find some money i will get a welder...if not its off to the glue store

thanks again

chris

Many auto manufacturers are mandating that some panels when replaced use the body adhesive, for example the saturn roofs use adhesive when replaced. Its good stuff it is used more and more in the body shop industry due to the stregnth and ease of use. Just make sure you do it according to directions. A fender coming off at 65 down the interstate would not be cool.,

oregon jeepn

The adhesive is a great product. It lessens the possability of rust forming between the panels. It has a greater holding power than spot welds when done correctly. The gun used to apply the stuff is kinda pricy, About 200 dollars. make sure you prep the panels corectly. the panel can be removed with a heat gun at a later date if so desired. I say glue it. I am a body man and I use the stuff all the time.

RE: Say a Jeep Prayer for Him.....

Wow....I didn't think it would hold as well as resistance spot welding,but I guess it's probably true though now that I think about it. I have spot welds pop all the time if the machine isn't set just right or the tongs are a little off or need dressing.

Back