Fan issues

GaryMB

TFI, HEI MSD?

I think it's time to replace the factory fan on my cj. The jeep gets pretty warm at any speed under 20mph, and going a mile an hour offroad the temp gauge keeps rising until I shut it off to cool down. The technichian that did a smog pre-test said there is likely something wrong with the fan clutch. So instead of paying for a new fan clutch, here is what I'm considering: An electric fan, or a flex-a-lite fan. Between the two, which would you recommend? I would prob. get an electric fan off of ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33600&item=7964626305&rd=1) or a flex fan and spacer kit from 4wdhardware ($60 for fan since it's a serpentine drive and $20 for adapter). What size fan and how much cfm would it need to push if it were electric? Or would a flex fan be better worth my money?

RE: Take A Wild Guess...

How's the rest of the cooling system? You sure it's just the fan?

I got a junkyard Taurus fan for $50, but the best part of the install was the control unit from www.dccontrol.com. I've heard mixed reviews about the flex-a-lite. I would hesitate before going that route. If you plan on water crossings, electric is a must. If you're on a budget, just fix the fan clutch.

RE: Still for sale?

Taurus fans are $10 each at the local pick'n'pull yard near here. It's a common swap of a 2-speed fan that moves a ton of air. Lots of web writeups if you search. Make sure it's from the 3.8L .

RE: Door pin / dome light installation

GaryMB said:
Well a $10 taurus fan sure sounds alot better either a flex or electric fan

That $10 or what ever is just the initial buy in. Then you have to figure out how to bolt it in place. Maybe a couple of L brackets. Still cheap... You need a switch, at least one relay - maybe 2 depending on how you wire it, and a few feet of wire. Still cheap, but adding up. They do draw a lot of juice. 70amps on startup and a constant 30 or 35, so big relays are required. You could add a temp sensor to control the low/high speed. Then you have to mount all of that somewhere. That is why I bought the kit from www.dccontro.com.

GaryMB said:
Any idea what wire I would tap into to power the fan?
It draws so much power that I would go to the power source. Either the battery or, if there is a power distribution center (fusebox or similar) under the hood, I would go there.

RE: bell crank

So my plan for wiring it is to have a 10gauge wire going from the battery to the relay, and from the relay to the fan. Then for the switch I'll have a 3 click switch, with off, on, and thermally controlled/auto. I'll just tap into the cig. lighter socket wire to power the switch. I read that people are using relays rated at around 75 amps, but I went to radio shack and two auto parts stores and the best they could come up with was an unrated toyota relay that the guy behind the counter said he uses for 40 amp applications with no problems. So what do I do for a relay? Get one from the ford dealership that's made for the fan?

You don't have to get a realy from a Ford. You want one that is rated for 80 amps peak and 30 amps continuous. Check with an electronics store, or auto parts store. Try a Bosch relay. Remember that the Taurus fan is 2 speeds. You need a relay to move from Low to High speed and one to kill the fan completely.

Here's a good thread from Pirate that has wiring diagrams and discussion about the merits of the unit from www.dccontrol.com vs 2 or more relays and all.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=270299&highlight=controller

Really, look at the kit from www.dccontrol.com. It simplifies this in so many ways.

Well I just barely managed to squeeze a taurus fan in there yesterday morning. I wanted it ready in time for wheeling today, so I just did a simple wiring job where the fan comes on the high setting whenever the ignition is on and has a kill switch. Let me say, that fan is great. It kept the engine running cool all day, and even when cruising up 50 degree inclines in 4 low 1st gear the temp gauge did not budge (where it would just bake with the original clutch fan). Not sure if I should wire in a second relay and thermo control though; it seemed to work pretty well the way it is.

RE: Re: RE: Attempted theft

How loud is it? As long as the noise doesn't bother you... Mine seems a bit loud, but the theromstat keeps it off or on a low speed most of the time.

Back