exhaust manifold gasket

Green97TJ

Hey yall, just got a new exhaust put on my jeep, and what does the guy tell me when I go to pick it up? Needs a new exhaust manifold gasket. They wont do it so I figure on doing it myself. Any tips? Instructions? Warnings?

Help me out here

Nathan

RE: How

Not that hard of a job. Depending on your year and model, should just be a couple of hours in the driveway. Might want to get a gasket from the dealer. There are high temp gasket sealants made for exhaust, but I don't recommend them. They make the next change harder cuz you'll be scraping that crap off.

You need a torque wrench and you need to know the order to tighten the bolts. Maybe time for you to buy a service manual. You'll likely need a swivel adapter for your socket set. Might need a fuel line disconnect tool - $10 at my local auto parts store.

This might help:
http://www.nakedjeep.com/Projects/TTubes/TTubes01.html

Good luck!

Its a 97, 2.5L... thanks a lot. Im hoping i wont have to disconnect the fuel rail, but Im not going to get my hopes to high on that one. Ive already got a gasket, I just wanted to know if there was anything special to look out for, or if I was going to need any other parts.

Thanks again!

Nathan

Back