yj 4.2 urgent case here!!!

jr_jeep

RE: ford rims on jeep

ok long story short..
89 yj 4.2
truck ran like crap. sort of 4 out of 6 cylinders
changed carb to a new carter from a cj, (no stepper),
wires, plugs, cap, rotor, pcv, oil, coil ...
still ran bad. but still ran tho.
removed all vacuum hoses except , dist. advance, vacuum for 4x4, pcv, booster.
still ran the same way, rough.
opened motor, heres what i found...
lifters were really bad- seized and rounded at bottom, replaced
cam was round, not egg shaped, replaced
timing chain way too loose. replaced. set timing at 8 deg
intake gasket was loose (air leak), replaced.
now with all this done to it, it starts but runs even worse, and stalls after 2 min, engine gets flooded from card, really bad.
so i routed a feul line hose from filter to tank to see if return line is clogged, its not.
and tube from under intake going to the manifold has been blocked at both ends since it was already leaking air alot.
i also dont have a muffler on it right now. straight pipe

so with all this done, now my jeep starts but stalls itself from beeing flooded.
i think its maybe due to the intake sucking too much air directly from the filter and sucking all the feul too from the carb to flood the engine...????

what i wanted to do is get an old skool engine style, with no vacuums, just gas and air, no wires. try and make it look custom some how
since i dont have any emissions laws where i live

anyone know why i might be flooding the engine like this, i wasted 20 liters of feul in about 10 min of idle. the carb was adjusted in every way possible..

i hope i dont have to reinstall all the vacuum hoses since i would like to keep it simple, clean look. if i am not mistaking the emissions only redirect air for pollution right. so why use it if i dont have to??

i need my baby back, i have 38.5 tires waiting and a spring over with 4 inch lift kit waiting, someone please help.
jr

RE: extra extra read all about it

maybe you have a float problem
pd

RE: Vibe question w/research

cant believe its running w/that much fuel flowing thru at idle... must look like a lugging diesel!!! - check the carb and fuel pressure (if possible) make sure its not too high - also you have to have balance with the intake and exhaust - you may not have enuff back pressure w/that straight pipe (been there w/an old car of mine and my old harley) - run a muffler and see if that helps... i know w/the straight pipes on my harley i had to rejet the carb... g'luck!

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Idoling too low

Could someone explain the backpressure thing to me? I hear and see it all the time, and have heard the theories.....I'm just not getting it. After tuning for it, all of my vehicles have pretty much been faster with open headers.....please explain.

thanx guys will check it out.
if anyone has any more info or thoughts please feel free to ...just a shot in the dark kinda stuff.
any guesses would help right now, it would make me think more i guess.

RE: Sup?

its you fluvenhousen. or maybie you could have a cloged whozawhatzit. sorry i had to. i hate to say this seein how you dont want them ugly things all over but try putting the vac lines back on and see what happens.

curious...could it be that he set he carb to run with the engine in bad shape...and now that it is in good shape the car b needs to be readjusted witha vacuum gauge...

may be a silly question...but i'm not to keen on carbs...

RE: do i really need my computer in it now????

back pressure helps your valves seal better. easyiest way to put it . with straight pipe it will suck all the gasses out and the extra oxygen will actualy cause the unburnt part of the exhaust charge to ignight a little. a lil back pressure is good because it prevents this and therefor prevents te valves from burning and helps with the valve seating.

RE: HOLY $@#$ dont know what else to try

well first of all if your cam actually did that i suggest you either find a new engine at a junkyard or if you hvae the skills yourself ,rebuild the heads IE ,replace pushrods have your rocker arms inspected or repalced and posible damage elsewhere ie timing gear and chain throw a little more info i may be able to help

RE: Rolling again

OK..."divide and conquer" time.

If the engine is flooding, even while running, then something is not restricting fuel flow.

I would check the float and needle valve of that CJ carb. (You didn't mention rebuilding or otherwise checking the carb prior to installation.)

Also, is there still a functioning fuel return line going back to the gas tank? If not, then it might be possible that the fuel pump pressure is overpowering the carb float needle valve.

As requested -- a shot -- actually, two shots -- in the dark.

Regards,

Gadget

PS: Above assumes that the engine is not flooding out because of a non-breaking and/or non-opening automatic choke.

Back