Factory Goodyear Wrangler Tires on Rubicon

campingnut1973

RE: possible axle swap candidates

I seem to have some problems of wear on my tires, and have heard that Goodyear Wrangler has a problem of this....anyone have the same problem.

RE: What to coat frame with: undercoating vs. bed liner

I've got about 12,000 miles on my MT/Rs and haven't noticed any unusual wear yet. Mine aren't 16 inch like the Rubicon but are 15s.

Oh, welcome to Jeepz!

RE: XJ Power

I have the same Goodyear MT/R blackwall 245/75/16 tires on my XJ and they are on the same sized wheels (16x8). I have had no problems with wear, but this is the first set of tires I have rotated with every oil change. Any of the more aggressive mud tires will need that or they will probably begin to cup at the outside treadblocks.

If you have been rotating them then I would check your alignment.

I've read in a couple of places and also heard about wear problems with those. The normal recommendation I have seen is to rotate them every 3k miles. I put some tires on the TJ that are very similar to MT/Rs, and the guy I bought them from even recommended that I rotate those often to keep them from cupping. Must be a tread design thing.

They're a soft tire, and I've seen a set of 35" MT/R's wear down useless within 12,000 miles.

Bounty__Hunter said:
They're a soft tire, and I've seen a set of 35" MT/R's wear down useless within 12,000 miles.

At that price?!??!?!........Man, that sucks!! No MT/R's for me!

Cheap arse,
mud

mud4feet said:
Bounty__Hunter said:

At that price?!??!?!........Man, that sucks!! No MT/R's for me!

Cheap arse,
mud

I don't think that is the norm, Mud. Mine have about 12K now and they still look almost new.

They're a soft tire, I think 30K out of them would be pushin it. It had better last 100K for that price, or do a whole lot better in mud than they do :shock:

Bounty__Hunter said:
They're a soft tire, I think 30K out of them would be pushin it. It had better last 100K for that price, or do a whole lot better in mud than they do :shock:

I'll keep ya posted.

Some gen chat friction

south442 said:
Bounty__Hunter said:

I'll keep ya posted.

I've put damn near 20K on mine, but like I said I rotate them often. There's more than half the tread left on them and they are wearing even. They see all types of driving and lots of it.

I can not help but to wonder if the 245x75R16 size (approx 31x9.50) being mounted on an 8" wheel is a factor. Goodyear states a 7" wheel as the maximum width for that tire. Just a thought.

yeah i got mine...wnd i got unusal wear on them so i trucked up to the local goodyear place and asked whatenhell is going on and the guy said that he had them on his jeep and it is bucause they a for offroad use only and that is the reason for the wear....so i got some lit and sure enough...FOR OFF ROAD USE ONLY

Something is rwith your setup. Those tires should last a good 25K miles. Get it aligned. I rarely rotate mine and they are fine. I did tear up my front tires but that's only because I bent my tie rod and through off my alignment. If you get them aligned you shouldnt have any problems.

Back