SYE Questions

Wanker

During this Christmas/New Years break, I plan on buying and installing a SYE, most likely the JB Conversion super short one. I've snagged a front driveshaft from a Cherokee to use as my CV shaft. My question is will I have to reset my pinion angle on my rearend when I finish, or will I be good to go just repositioning the transfer case?

You'll likely have to reset your pinion angle after the SYE install, you'll want to run it straight at your TC output so it's inline with the driveshaft, or up to 2º down if you're running a leaf spring suspension with no traction bar (due to axle rotation under acceleration).

Have you checked out the SYE at www.performanceoffroadcenter.com ? Hard to beat the price, and the quality is up there with any other HD SYE.

Bounty__Hunter said:
Have you checked out the SYE at www.performanceoffroadcenter.com ? Hard to beat the price, and the quality is up there with any other HD SYE.
I've looked at it, but I've heard complaints from people in my club that have used it. They said it was just a SYE made in China/Japan using cheaper parts. Another reason I look at the super short SYE is to run a longer driveshaft to straighten out the angle on the cv joint.

I've installed about half a dozen PORC SYE's with no problems, AFAIK it's the same quality as AA and JB and the other HD SYE's, never heard anything about it being manufactured overseas. That's often a comment made by someone who doesn't know for sure, to help them feel better about having already spent more money on a different kit.

I've installed one super short SYE, they're very nice kits. They're easier to install than a conventional HD SYE as there is fewer parts.

What type of jeep are you installing this in, and with how much lift? A SS SYE may be overkill if you can accomplish the same thing with a HD SYE and save half the cash.

I have a 94 YJ with 4" suspension lift and 2" body lift. I'll be upgrading the springs to some 5"-6" custom Alcan springs soon. I also plan on moving the transmission and transfer case up to do a belly up skid. One of the major people I've heard that it was manufactured overseas was Endless Mountain Offroad rep. The PORC kit used to be a JB Conversion HD kit with a PORC badge on it, but JB Conv. stopped allowing them to do that.

I know, I've thought about going spring-over to gain a bit more flex, but haven't quite talked myself into yet.

The jb kit is excellent(i have it) and the re 4.5" springs ride surprisingly well for being that big and they flex great. That and bl will get you 35-36"

A bit more flex? There will be an enormous difference in flex between a SOA with relatively flat springs and a 6" SUA. The SOA also gives you the options of adding spring later on, something tough to do with a 6" SUA. Do the SOA instead, I think you'd be glad you did. Not too many more mods required than when doing a 6" SUA.

Bounty__Hunter said:
A bit more flex? There will be an enormous difference in flex between a SOA with relatively flat springs and a 6" SUA.
I was kidding about the "bit more flex" part. I won't be using stock springs probably. More than likely I'll be getting some 1.5"-2" springs when doing the SOA to be able to run some 36's or 37's. :twisted: Thanks for the help guys.

Now, anyone have some 1.5"-2" lift springs they need to get rid of?:)

if youve got some stock wagoneers ive got some shot 2 inch skyjackers on my jeep ill trade!

Back