MikeB

ive been thinking about dropping a 304 in my YJ for some time now, will my AX-15 hold up to it? and will i have to change the bellhousing?

The 304 has the same bolt pattern as the six cylinder. I'm not sure what other parts you would use, but the two will bolt together.

It won't hold up. It would probably live behind a factory Jeep 304 for a while, maybe. Even a slightly hopped up 304 could tear it up at any time though. Depends on how you drive really, but I wouldn't trust it.

Actually there are a couple of issues...
First the Ax-5,ax-15, and the t-176 are the weakest of all the transmission that jeep came out with. There will all live marginal life's behind a V-8 at best.
The T-18,T-98 and the NV-3550 will give you the best life behind a V-8. (according to JP magazine March 2006 pg52)

Also I don't know what Canada's emission standards are but finding emission stuff for it is imposable. The 304 came into life around late 60's and made it to the early 80's. And even then it didn't have any emission devises hooked to it.

Better to look for a Chevy small block or a 5.2 or a 5.9 from Mopar, more performance parts and options for building.
As to adapters check advanced adapters or Novak adapters.

Hold on thar, the 304 V8 was choked ta death by emissions. By 1981 tha ponies were so smothered the differance in output was reduced to almost the same as the 6cyl so it was dropped. Rewind to about 1974 and ya had some usable Horses before detune and smaller head cavities. And that's 'bout it!

Attachments

• Copy_of_ENG_CJ_IMAG0023.jpg
    Copy_of_ENG_CJ_IMAG0023.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:

Yeah, they had emissions ports from the exhaust manifold and also a charcoal cannister...whatever that does.
I don't know about the AX15, but I had a T-176 and it did fine behind the 304. It all depends on how you drive it and how the motor is tuned.

redrooster said:
charcoal cannister...whatever that does.
the charcoal cannister is part of the emissions system, gas that sits in the fuel tank emits fumes, those fumes are collected in the canister, when the engine is running, there is a seloniod that opens up and pumps that un-used gas fumes back into the intake system to me burned.

you can use a AX15 with the 304, if it is a stock 304, you should have little promlems...let me re-phrase that, you should have no more problems than if it was behind the 6 cyl
the 304 from 1971 produced 210 hp
1972-1978 produced 150 hp
1979 produced 130 hp
and 1980-81 produced 125 hp

Considering that the 4.0 HO produces 180 hp stock, and with generous mods can get into the 200-225 range you will accualy be at a loss (Since you said you had an ax15, I assume you have the MPI 4.0)

If that is not enough for you, source a T5 out of a CJ, they are dime a dozen, will handle a built 360, let along a 304 and would be a complete bolt in minus motor mounts and the clocking ring to keep the np231

You guys are missing the big things here. "Emissions equipment" can involve more than just the bolt ons that you see. The factory camshaft profile, the cylinder heads, the induction, the exhaust.....were all chosen with emissions testing in mind. A stock 304 is weak, but a warmed up 304 by someone who knows what they're doing can be pretty strong. My 304 is kind of peppy;)

I can't believe that I'm hearing that the T-176 won't hold up but the craptastic T-5 or one of the asian piles will?.....

The 304 showed up in 1970 when AMC increased the stroke across the V8 engine line. The 290 became a 304, the 343 became the 360, and the 390 became the 401. The 390 still appeared in 1970 I think, but it was only to keep die-hard AMC fans from protesting as that was known as THE AMC hotrod mill from the days when they were giving the big three a run for their money. Second and third gen AMC engines are great power plants. Anyone who tells you different is either uneducated on the subject or they are just a fanboy of another brand.

Back