Oil in distributor

BillNJ

A few weeks ago I cleaned a puddle of oil out of the distributor of my 1988 4.0. Now it's filled up again. Any one know of a fix for this with out buying a new distributor?

Thanks[addsig]

I´ve heard this before, though I´ve never seen it. Check the PVC valve for function (does the little plunger in there wiggle when you snakc it?) check the scavenger tube to the air cleaner (is it connected, plugged?) Does it have alot of blow by? When you pull off the oil filler does smoke come out, or does it have enough pressure to blow your hand off the top when reving the engine? Does oil come out of the dip stick tube or do you often find the dip stick raised a little up from fully seated? The distributor has most times a felt gasket sometimes an O ring on the shaft, not real hard to replace. Best to get a manual that show´s you how to set TDC and remove the pin from the bottom of the distributor.[addsig]

I've checked most of the things you've mentioned mudder. I just got the truck back from the shop. They told me there is a lot of blow by. But I'm not to sure. There isn't any pressure from the oil fill and this model doesn't have your typical pcv valve. It has that ccv system. I checked the manual like you said about TDC...looks like another weekend project.

The mechanic got it running by cleaning some oil out of the distributor and changing badly fowled plugs that were only 3 days old. I have a feeling it will run okay for about a week or so. While checking things out I found a nice puddle of coolant on the ground, kind of wished it was the lower hose but it looks like a freeze out plug. Man....seems like a got a new hobby over the past few months "Jeep repair"

Thanks for the help, Bill

[addsig]

Check the hose thats attached to the PVC valve while the car is running. It might suck in if the inner walls are weak. If you can, replace it, because even if you can't physically see it suck in, it still might be blocked Rob
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Back