YJ Chevy V-8 swap?

BigDaddys88YJ

Ok guy's I know this ? has been asked before but what is the best way to do a Chevy V8 swap on a YJ? I want to swap the Motor,Transmission and T-case.

Get a good running drivetrain. Buy the motor mounts, and an adapter to adapt your transfercase to the transmission. You don't want whatever transfercase is on the end of one of those drivetrains. Also a new radiator, and a wiring harness from Painless wiring. If you want to spend a little extra get a stand alone FI system from Holley. There's gonna be a little fabrication involved in mounting the drivetrain to the skid plate or cross member or whichever, but if you give Novak or Advance Adapters a call they can tell you in better detail what you're getting into.

My friend used the following:
*Advanced Adapters YJ V8 motor mounts
*Carbed Chevy 350
*700R4/NP231 from S-10 Blazer
*B&M 700R4 stand alone torque converter lockout module
*Lots of elbow grease and patience
It turned out nice with the exception of the column shifter not letting the 700R shift into 1st. The B&M converter modules work good too. His YJ gets about 18-22 mpg in O/D. It always starts now too, nothing beats a Chevy V8...

wow i didnt think that it was possible to put a v-8 ina jeep. sorry im new to the fourm and the world of jeeps. my uncle gave me his 95 jeep wrangler and it has a 4 banger in it and im the kinda person who likes raw power and i wanna up my 32s to 35s after i get my lift kit and all so i was wondering if any 1 could give me detailed info on this chevy v-8 swap. like what chevy years and models will fit the wrangler, how hard is it to do, and what othe modifications need to b done, o and about how much is it gona cost? i am very intereasted in doing this i just need more info so if any 1 has alot plz get back to me. thank you

wow i didnt think that it was possible to put a v-8 ina jeep. sorry im new to the fourm and the world of jeeps. my uncle gave me his 95 jeep wrangler and it has a 4 banger in it and im the kinda person who likes raw power and i wanna up my 32s to 35s after i get my lift kit and all so i was wondering if any 1 could give me detailed info on this chevy v-8 swap. like what chevy years and models will fit the wrangler, how hard is it to do, and what othe modifications need to b done, o and about how much is it gona cost? i am very intereasted in doing this i just need more info so if any 1 has alot plz get back to me. thank you

If you're serious about putting a V8 in it, your front lift springs will have to be heavier than what you would normally put on to handle the extra weight of the V8. That's about all I can say to help, but there are others here who can add more.;)

Welcome to Jeepz!

BigDaddy, I put a 350 in my old '88 YJ in place of the 258, but it's been years since I did it. I used an AA adapter bellhousing and the stock Peugeot 5spd, with no problems, but using an entire GM drivetrain from an S10 or Blazer would be the way to go. I used a carb'd engine so wiring wasn't a problem.

The Jeep power steering pump worked on both the 258 and 350, but I had to source a PS pump bracket from a Chevy van and cut 1 of the 3 pump bracket arms off as it interfered with the resevoir neck. There may be something better out there, but it worked for me.

Back