jeep problems galore

mvallee5

Background-1989 Jeep Wrangler, 4 cyl, fuel injected, 3" lift, 32" tires, 5 speed

I have multiple problems...so does my jeep. First, there is a short circuit of somekind under the dash that has my radio coming on and off (without losing the channels in memory), the headlights and taillights flicker (they don't completely shut off) but the dash lights are fine through the episodes. these episodes occur when the jeep rocks foreward (when shifting) or hitting any kind of bump and also taking right turns. that's part 1...

The second part is more serious. The engine began running poorly over the span of 5-6 days to a point where it is obviously running on only 2-3 cylinders (4 cylinder engine). Today the cat converter and muffler got red hot (too much fuel through the exhaust-yes?) and it had to be towed. I gave it a tune up yesterday-cap,rotor,plugs and wires and checked for spark at each plug(ok). It continued to start and idle, although very rough. that's part 2...

The third problem is minor but a problem no the less. There is play in my steering wheel, enough to be a concern and at high speeds will cause the front end to shimmy side to side. The jeep has a 3" lift with a factory pitman arm. Would a dropped pitman arm solve this?

Great thanks to anyone that can help me.[addsig]

Check out the post on page 4 "My Jeep was cutting out and here how I fixed it" might be worth checking.Definitely sounds like a bad electrical connection and sounds like its messing with your EFI too. Good Luck
image-missing.png
[addsig]

A dropped pitman arm will not solve that. Do you have lift shackles? Sounds like a caster problem, not enough caster will cause the Jeep to wander. Or your steering box is bad.

As for the cat, it is ruined, too much raw fuel being put into the cat from the cylinders not firing. Replace the cat.[addsig]

sounds like you may have a bad cat converter. Hot exaust could be from not letting the gasses out. shaky front end start at the stering coloum and check shake and move everything till something feels loose or shows signs of wear. Pitman arm could be the problem but check everything! Lights cant help there. Radio not even on the list till you get the rest going. I am not a wrench and may have said something really stupid but that is what I would check. Hope it helps you out there! and welcome to the board Tug[addsig]

I would have to agree that the cat is toast. I would save some $$ here and just gut it out as long as you don't have to worry about emissions and such. As too the Jeep running rough, I am not totally sure. I would check everything to make sure the Jeep is getting air. Sometimes the hardest problem ends up being something simple. As to the headlights, check the actual switch, my headlights did the flicker routine, all it ended up being was the contacts on the switch were a little worn so they didn't always make contact. It took a couple times of taking it apart to figure out how much bend to put back in. But I would concentrate on getting the Jeep to run right first to make sure it isn't anything too serious..

Good luck-

-A true Jeep owner spends more time getting his Jeep dirty than cleaning it...
image-missing.png
-[addsig]

1. check and make sure you have a good fuse... sometime a blown fuse will allow power to arc... chances are slim on that.... other than that.... repace either your accessory wire or buy a new stereo. check your connection to your headlights... check the bulbs... check the switch.. check your battery leads.

2. buy a new cat... or hollow it out... that will allow the pressure through.

3. check your steering linkages... the knuckle in the shaft, the busings in all of the front end... etc.... have a friend move the steering wheel and see where the play is... trace down the line... everywhere one mechanical part meets another, there could be play.... somewhere between point a,b,c,d, etc... there must be an X

[addsig]

I had a 84 bronco that the cat converter did the same thing but it caught fire. CLIP IT!!! that could be your engine problem also. When I cut mine off I doubled my power of my engine no exageration. The auto shop said its plugged but I didnt believe them I figured there is exhaust coming from the tail pipe. after it was cut HOLY COW try that first. Electrical start at the battery and work your way to the problem. Makes sure all connections are clean and tight. I would take each connection off one at a time and clean it and put a new connector if needed and make sure they are tigh so you know it is not that one after each one. I would check the battery or ignition switch cause it sounds like it is effecting multiple things. Figure you have to have the battery for the stereo and lights, you have to have the ignition switch on for both yadda yadda yadda thats my 2 cents steering not a clue like they said before let us know so I can fix my steering
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Might be able to steer you, to a couple of potential problems in the front end. Front end wobble and play in the front end is often a series of things. A little here a little there until it gets uncontrolable.

The front trak bar, check the ball joint type connector on the front axle. I´m pretty sure yours has one, most YJ´s do and the ball type connector is without a grease joint and wears and fails. Also check the top mounting bolt for tightness, have seen many come loose (or the bushing rot).

A slightly out of alignment front end and loose ball joints will give the symptoms you´ve mentioned, as will loose or worn wheel bearings along with a slight alignment problem. And not to mention the old tie rod ends and wheel balance.

The pitman arm shaft coming out of the steering wheel, sometimes flexes up and down which translates to lateral movement in the front end. As will loose streering gears, which can be tightened but require removal of the steering box.

Front end wobble and wander is often, more than just one thing. Tighten up the worst first and keep going until everything is tight again.

Wheel alignment before making sure the front end is tight is often a waste of money.[addsig]

Back