Replace or rebuild?

B192734

So a buddy I work with has a 95 wrangler. It has the 4 cyl. Has 210,000 miles on it, and is not working anymore. Blown head gasket, possibly warped. We are assuming that it's better to replace the entire engine, but wanted to see what people thought. And if replacing, how hard would it be to put in the bigger I6 and would it fit with transmission and mounts, or would it be a huge project...

Any thoughts would be great. Thanks.

You go with the 4.0, you have to get a new transmission as well. You also have to do a little bit of work to the transfer case, or just get one with the ax-15 (I'm just assuming you have a 5 speed). If his transmission is going too, this might be a good option, otherwise just order a rebuilt from Jasper.

Dont forget the wiring harness, belts,hoses, 6cyl radiator, some other odds n ends. but it can be done for about 2-2.5k. or just get reman 4cyl for 1k

Nothing is shared between the 4 cyl and the 6 cyl except a few sensors and tinker parts here and there. You can probably find another Wrangler at the price and value of labor it will cost to convert to 6 cyl. Better off with a rebuild, or if you plan on swapping, skip the 4.0 and go big

Thanks a lot. That will pretty much answer his question. I'll pass it on.

Back