TJ 12v switched source

Jason4x4

I'm trying to install my new CB in my '06 TJ. I'm looking for a 12v switched source that's easy to get at. My initial thought was to go for the cigarette lighter but I can't figure out how that center bezel comes off. Any suggestions? Is there an easier 12v source to get to??

pull off the knee bolster and that metal thingy..all those wires.. one of them in there will work :)

J.K. there should be a harness coming down from the steering wheel allong the column, there will be a bunch of wires in there, but 5 or 6 of them should be a lot thicker guage, use a multi meter and test the wires, you want it to read nothing with the key in the off position and 12 volts with the key two clicks foward (prior to starting) as for the wires exact color, should be pink with light green.

If you tap a line, it is best to use a relay to run your new accessory. Currents are figured in the fuse system when they design the circuits. Its not good to go adding extra load to the circuit

When you say I should test some of the wires in that cluster, how does one go about doing that? Simply cut, check for power with the ignition on/off, and if it's the wrong wire just splice it back together?? Or is there another method?

The volt meter should come with leads that are very sharp. You'll just set the volt meter to the 20V setting, touch the black lead to the nearest good ground or stick it into a black ground wire, and then stick the red lead into the wires jps4jeep suggested. Just stab the wire, through the insulation. Maybe wrap it up with a little electric tape after you're done.

Back