Poor Mileage Question

sandrat

I am running a 258 -w- a Weber carb and TFI upgrade. The engine is totally de smogged. I am getting probably less than 10 MPG on the highway I also installed 33`s with the original 3:07 gears. I plan on changing to 4:10`s. Could the 3:07`s be causing mileage this bad ? I seem to see other people on this site and others who are getting much better mileage. HELP
image-missing.png
[addsig]

wel the 3.07 gears are probably going to help better the the 4.88 b/c your top end speed will be less which causes the engine to do more work hense more fuel consumption... I am clueless to carb. engines so I know someone on the board can maybe help on that issue[addsig]

the 3.07's should get you better gas mileage, the lower the gear (higher numbers) the more your gas mileage goes down....as to why you're only getting 10 mpg i have no idea, my 2.5l used to only get 12-15 on the highway and my 350 gets almost 18 who would have thought an engine with over twice the displacement would do better on gas[addsig]

What kind of neighborhood do you live in?
image-missing.png
heehheheheh Do you have any enemys with a fule abuse problem? just kidding but for the milage to suck that bad you got a problem somewhere is there any leaks or man I dont know but good luck and welcome to the board! Tug[addsig]

If you don't need a tune-up, I'd check the exhaust system. Clogged cat, muffler or even a kinked pipe.[addsig]

My buddy just went to a garage to have his intake gasket replaced. They said that it would really affect his mileage. Easy to check just put some dishsoap around the gasket and start it up if it bubbles it needs some tlc[addsig]

Back