Super Swampers Destroyed my ride

Smackdaddy

O-kay. Got the 33X12.50 Super Swamper Boggers. Very heavy tires and very agressive tread. This jeep is a 95 and I bought it after test driving and looking at MANY jeeps around that year. It drove like a brand new jeep and was very well taken care of. This thing is all over the road now and will keep ya right on the seat of your pants trying to keep it under control. It seems like both front wheels want to go in different directions . . and dont even think about braking hard as it throws even more weight on the front end and I almost lost it today. Now . . . along with a brake upgrade and additional lift to handle the 33's what doI have to do to get this thing back under control. Was such a sweet driver and I totally understand some deterioriation in the ride given those tires but this is ridiculous! Any thoughts??

Sounds like the infamous Death Wobble. Verify that your wheel balance is on the money, check your front end components particularly the Track Bar, Steering Damper shock, Tie Rod Ends and ball Joints. if you still have a stock Stabilizer shock even if its still good, you might have to upgrade to a larger one . and last that i would make sure is that your Frontend Alignment is dead on. hope this helps.

my jeep started doing the same thing i rotated the tires and balanced them and it went back to normal, or you can just mess with your tire pressure and see if that helps. my tires were wearing down in the middle really bad so i did all the above and it drives like a champ now

It's not death wobble, he didn't mention anything about a violent wobble that requires immediate braking.

Did you research boggers before buying them? They are the gnarliest, heaviest, most square bias-ply mud tire out there. The only way to improve that ride is using different tires.

Boggers are made by Interco, who makes more streetable mud tires like the TSL Radial and the SSR. Check out Interco's site.

I have the TSL. On the tire it says TSL Bogger. They are radials. It feels like each front tireis trying to pull in opposite directions almost. Going down the road it is just tricky. Hitting the brakes causes the problem to multiply. Sorry I dont know much about suspension components or what they do but it seems like the two tires need to be stabilized so they dont try and go different directions. I was thinking maybe the stock components just were not strong enough to handle the size and weight of this tire. Whatcha think?

Granted that you've made sure that you dont have any loose or worn Steering and Suspension components, i would have to say you might want to get your alignment checked like the Camber ,Caster and Toe.

TSL simply means ThreeStageLug and is proprietary to most or all Interco tires. The Bogger is NOT a radial, it is the most aggressive bias-ply tire made by Interco.

Your Swamper can be either Radial or a Bogger, but it can't be both. If somebody sold you the tires told you it was a radial, get your money back. You have the worst tire for road manners available. It sounds like it is definitely not the tire for you.

This is a bogger:
superswamper_Bogger_LG-2.jpg

MAn .. you're right! How suck @#$%$ is that. Never had any bias tires before. What a bummer. I had heard the bias were terrible for street use . . no idea why anyone would do this unless it was a just for fun rig.

Most folks that buy boggers aren't running them on their daily driver. They are a rough ride on the street, but get them in the mud and you will be in love.
In my experience, I have found that Interco bias plys handle like crap when inflated to normal pressure. They walk the road like mad. Try dropping them down to 20 psi and see if that helps.

I run bias TSL's but only to the trail and back, few hour drive max. I run radials for daily use.

once bias warm up, they will true out the flat spots..

I also Run Bias TSL's... When I still drove it on the street I put 10 oz of air soft B-B's in each tire, didn't bother to balance them and they trac straight and with minimal shake... Then I put on bead locks and it is miserable over 20 mph.. but hey.. it gets trailered now

What are they made of?

also there is the stuff big rigs use called (and I could be wrong) equal... but you need to replace the valve stems..

I personally like the sound of the B.B.'s spinning in the tire when I come to a stop.

That's what i use Johnny. it works great. and you are correct on the name. when i first heard of it from the sales rep. i thought he was gonna pour fake sugar in my tires. lol.

You're right, internal balancing is very common in big rigs. The Dynabeads I use are small ceramic beads. They are heavy but make very little noise. Just google 'dynabeads' I believe, I'd post a link if I weren't on my phone.

You're right, internal balancing is very common in big rigs. The Dynabeads I use are small ceramic beads. They are heavy but make very little noise. Just google 'dynabeads' I believe, I'd post a link if I weren't on my phone.

You know driving while on a cell phone is dangerous... Interneting while on a cell phone is pure crazy!

thanks if it didn't get so damn cold and had steel wheels, I would love to try water in my tires

Back