CJ7 vs YJ vs TJ

tevsanders

trying to decide on used Jeep - I am torn because I had a CJ7 in High School (back in the late 80's) - want a jeep to go hunting in 5 to 10 times a year - need to drive 150 miles each time to get there...with that in mind

Trying to think of pros and cons of each model

CJ7
pro - cost - can find one for $2k-3k
con - more upkeep
pro - I can work on it (its pretty simple from what I recall)
pro - lots of parts avail at reasonable cost
pro - round headlights

YJ
con - no round headlights
pro - cost - can find one around 3 to 4k

TJ
pro - less upkeep/lower mileage/newer
con - cost - will cost 4 to 5k
pro round headlights

any other major things I am missing?

Will this be your primary vehicle? Also, will you be able to keep your Jeep in a garage?

I ask because I'd hate to get a CJ, work on it, then leave it outside to rust again. Rust is a big problem for those guys (the bodies aren't galvanized).

The CJ7 are mostly rust buckets now, especially the 2k ones. The YJs are under appreciated, and very cheap to lift / upgrade. The TJs make great daily drivers, are comfortable, but coils make it more expensive to lift.

Last edited:
Articulation: TJ has a Better suspension travel than the CJ's Leafspring. Although, The CJ's Leafspring is more reliable when it comes to banging around on the rocks. CJ and YJ both has the leaf spring suspension. TJ's coil spring suspension is more comfortable on long drives. i guess that won't matter if it does'nt bother you. I drive my CJ7 everyday to work and to the ranch on weekends to either Hunt or Guide for Hunters and i love it. occasionally it's also a Search and Rescue Unit. It does have quite a bit of upkeep and not a fuel efficient transportation but im not hard on it and i still need to re-gear my axles.

The TJ is Chrysler's greatest accomplishment. Period. With the tried and true 4L inline 6, coil springs, round headllights, readily available parts, the the absence of plastic fenders and a V6, it's a hands down winner. I've driven from Seattle clear to Minnesota in mine on two different occasions, with the soft top, over the cascades and the rockies, and across the flats of eastern Montana and the Dakotas, and in 30 below zero to 100 degrees above, at times hauling kayaks, dead dear, stinky skiers, or pulling a trailer, and I've never been too cold, too hot, uncomfortable, or unable to keep up with traffic in my TJ. I love YJs and CJs too, but long live the TJ! Just my opinion:)

Will this be your primary vehicle? Also, will you be able to keep your Jeep in a garage?

I ask because I'd hate to get a CJ, work on it, then leave it outside to rust again. Rust is a big problem for those guys (the bodies aren't galvanized).

The CJ7 are mostly rust buckets now, especially the 2k ones. The YJs are under appreciated, and very cheap to lift / upgrade. The TJs make great daily drivers, are comfortable, but coils make it more expensive to lift.
will not be my primary vehicle - will not be garaged - I was planning on putting a cover over it.

I'd suggest letting your wallet decide - either YJ or TJ, depending on what you can afford.

If you go with a YJ, I'd steer clear of the carbureted ones.

I'd suggest letting your wallet decide - either YJ or TJ, depending on what you can afford.

If you go with a YJ, I'd steer clear of the carbureted ones.

Good advice - my short term wallet is leaning towards CJ's - my long term wallet is leaning towards TJ...thankfully no hurry to decide...

Well, maybe you could find a CJ with a fiberglass shell already over it. It may be a little more cost wise, but it seems like you want an old CJ from your pro/con list. Also, if you find a mechanically sound, bodily bruised CJ, you can get some sheet metal and a pop rivet gun and patch that buddy up. Then paint it with the hunting garb and you're golden... er, camo. :D

At least with a cj thats got a sound drive train and an ok body youll be more relaxed if you bang it off a tree or get blood all over it on the hunt

Since its not your primary, and its drive time will be limited to 5-10 trips a year, getting a CJ would be better financially and store-ability wise. And as you said you can work on it. Storing a vehicle even 30-60 or so days between driving can be hard on a new TJ since the fuel will be in a pressurized fuel rail going bad. And there is power to the ECM even when your vehicle is sitting draining a tiny amount of power, I know it take 3-4 months for an XJ to drain its power source a Yellow top optima.

Go with the CJ, you will have a piece of history, and as you say, much easier to work on. If my CJ breaks down, I fix it. If a late model (read computerized) Jeep breaks down, I take it to the shop.

Since its not your primary, and its drive time will be limited to 5-10 trips a year, getting a CJ would be better financially and store-ability wise. And as you said you can work on it. Storing a vehicle even 30-60 or so days between driving can be hard on a new TJ since the fuel will be in a pressurized fuel rail going bad. And there is power to the ECM even when your vehicle is sitting draining a tiny amount of power, I know it take 3-4 months for an XJ to drain its power source a Yellow top optima.

X2!

If you do decide on the YJ, though, I recommend geting a MPFI one (I think it was '92 and up?), as you'll get a bit more power... By the way, you forgot to mention on the YJ Pro's list the fact that it uses wider springs that the CJ, that it has MPFI (at least the later ones), and that they hold up to rust better than the CJ...

Alright, I'll bite... I'm sick of people downing the YJ, especially if they have never owend one. (Also I'm not trying to start any fights here, light hearted, friends, light hearted). Follow me if you will:

YJ - Fully boxed, rock solid frame
CJ - C channel frame, with round headlights
YJ - Super solid, wide leaf springs that perform superbly on and off road even with the sway-bar and track bar disconnected
CJ - Narrower Leaves and ALOT more body roll with the sway bars off, and round headlights
YJ - Galvanized body that won't rust out if propperly maintained
CJ - Non-Galvanized body that will rust out despite being properly maintained, and round head lights
YJ - '93 and later had EFI'd H.O. 4.0L straight six, also rock solid, and for what they are, not too bad on gas
CJ - either a 258 relic...I mean "classic" or if you're lucky, a tough to find parts for AMC V-8 (which is actually pretty awesome, I can't lie...much like the round headlights)
YJ - A nearly unlimited supply of junkyard/e-bay/craig's list/Jeepz parts out there to choose from
CJ - A steadily declining supply of said parts...including round headlights
YJ - Giant aftermarket support with alot of parts interchangable with TJs AND CJ's
CJ - Steadily declining aftermarket support, but they do make HID round headlights

Ok, ok, I'll stop! :lol::lol::lol: (Steelheadz will probably take me off the friends list now! :D) My point is simply this: If you want a roughly $3,000, rock solid foundation that you can throw a 2-4" susspension lift and some larger tires under for around $1,500, which also gets around 18mpg (with 33's mind you), and one of the best gasoline powered six cylinder engines ever concieved by man, go with a mid 90's YJ. I LOVE mine...probably too much, but what are you gonna do? CJ's are awesome. TJ's are a technical marvel. But YJ's are the greatest all-around budget Jeep out there right now, even without the round headlights.

CJ - C channel frame, with round headlights
My CJ7 has a fully boxed frame.
CJ - Narrower Leaves and ALOT more body roll with the sway bars off, and round headlights
Only the front is narrower by .5 in. With the sway bars off, there is not much roll due to leaves.
CJ - Non-Galvanized body that will rust out despite being properly maintained, and round head lights
Rusty but Trusty.
CJ - either a 258 relic...I mean "classic" or if you're lucky, a tough to find parts for AMC V-8 (which is actually pretty awesome, I can't lie...much like the round headlights)
Clifford, MSD, D.U.I., Offenhauser, Omix Ada... plenty for the "relic" 258.
CJ - A steadily declining supply of said parts...including round headlights
One word... Quadratec.

I bit, too. :D

Back