YJ Brakes

Dan English

I've recently purchased a '91 YJ. Its in pretty good shape but the brakes are not quite right. They are real spongy virtually till the pedal hits the floor and even then, its not stopping very well?

Should I bleed the brakes?

Also, the fluid chamber that is seperated into 2 compartments - only the rear has fluid in... could this be the cause?

Any advice gratefully received...

(Also, the fluid chamber that is seperated into 2 compartments - only the rear has fluid in... could this be the cause?)
Absolutely, fill the Master cylinder Reservoir then bleed the system. watch carefully for leaks. Isolate and repair as necessary.

(Also, the fluid chamber that is seperated into 2 compartments - only the rear has fluid in... could this be the cause?)
Absolutely, fill the Master cylinder Reservoir then bleed the system. watch carefully for leaks. Isolate and repair as necessary.
Thank you for your reply. Do you know what DOT fluid I would need to use?

99% of passenger vehilces will use DOT 3. DOT 4 can be found in some light trucks but is more common in HD trucks, you should avoid mixxing them so check the manual. Motorcycles will be the exception, most are DOT 5 which is silicone-based, never put this in a jeep.

Back