Pinion Problems

Collin the Hen

Well, the 2.73 pinion gear will not come out of my housing. At first, I tapped it with a hammer and a punch (worked fine for my other axle), then I found a huge concrete spike and a 10lb sledge, no luck. Finally, I took it to school, put it in the hydro press, and cranked it to 5000 psi. Still not a thing.

Is this normal? My spare axle's pinion came right out. Do you guys have any tips?

I'm not worried about the pinion since I am replacing it if that widens the options.

Try to heat up the bearing around it, keeping the heat off the pinion. Then whack it.

I was going to do that, but my yoke was being stubborn too. I took our 20 ton jaw puller to try and get it off. It just started digging into the pinion. If I get that yoke off, I will definitely do that. I guess I'll have to heat up my yoke, and try that.
Thanks.

Ahh, I finally got it. I heated up the yoke, cranked down the jaw pullers, heated it up again, it poped, and the yoke pulled out.
After that, everything was fine. I guess I'll get the yoke out first from now on.

Man, that massive 2.73 pinion could propel a cargo ship.

Yes, they are beefy.

Glad you got it loose, I feel your frustration.

Back