Body swap?

Yes. It's also possible to drop a CJ7 body to a 1 ton chevy frame and stretch the body to a 4dr. The possibilities are countless when it comes to swapping. It's a matter of how your going to make it work and do it correctly. The body mount locations on a TJ Vs. the CJ5 frame is not going to line up. Since the structural design on the TJ body mount locations is at it's optimum flex points and crumple zones, you will need to re-locate the body bracket mounts on the CJ5 frame. Also keep in mind the difference on the frame lift from the mid point to the rear of the TJ frame Vs. the CJ5 frame due to a difference in suspension between the two. There's a lot of cutting and welding involved, but it can be done.

I have seen this swap done before using a YJ body. The person bobbed the backend of the YJ tub right behind the doors to make a truck type cab. he also used a t-bucket truck style bed behind that as it fit directly between the frame rails and didn't interfere with the tires. it was pretty cool he utlized quite a bit of stuff designed for a t-bucket hot rod to build a 4X4. I shoulda took some pics of it but didn't have a camera at the time.

Personally, I'd rather just buy a brand new tub for the CJ5 (here's one for $4,000) Jeep Steel Body Kits and Body Tubs by Omix. The cool door openings really make the CJ5 IMO

It's alot of cash, but I think the finished product would be more fun to own. I bet that if you did all the work to put a TJ tub on there, no one would know it's anything other than just another TJ.

I've personally put a YJ tub (from the windshield back) on a CJ-7 frame - this swap works great, and was pretty easy to do.

Try Willys Overland too. They bought all of the original blue prints from Chrysler when they took over Jeep. We should thank them, if they had not done so these drawing would have ended up at the dump lost forever.

Willys-Overland Motors : Repli-Tubs

It has all new panels and everything all the way around and fresh paint.. looks great... just seems like there are alot more options for the TJ body when it comes to accessories.. and I love my CJ5... but that damn halfdoor sucks somedays

It has all new panels and everything all the way around and fresh paint.. looks great... just seems like there are alot more options for the TJ body when it comes to accessories.. and I love my CJ5... but that damn halfdoor sucks somedays

One of the biggest problems is you will have to either stretch the CJ frame or shorten the TJ body as the CJ is about 10" shorter than the TJ.

Did i see the word stretch?

Attachments

• Picture 075.jpg
    Picture 075.jpg
    337.6 KB · Views: 1,234
  • Picture 076.jpg
    Picture 076.jpg
    362.5 KB · Views: 1,235
Back