need engine swap info badly

Ted

my name is Ted i have a 1984 jeep cj7 with a 150, 4 cyl hooked up to a t4 trans hydr clutch with 12.50x 33x 15 tires its severly underpowered i would like to change up to the 258 6 cyl whay i need to know is do i need a 1984 258 do i need a new trans do i need a new bellhousing do i need to switch clutch to manuel is there a book i can buy has anyone done this swap is it possibe is it costly what things should i look out for when making the swap any help is surely appreciated thanks Ted

Last edited:

To swap engines you will need to install/weld in new motor mounts. Other than that it should bolt in. Honestly I wouldn't install a 258 though, there are plenty of other engine options out there. 4.0L from a newer Jeep, 4.0L stroked to 4.6L, Chevy Vortec V6, chevy 350, amc 304 and 360, etc. The T4 transmission you have is not a very stout gear box however, I would be hesitant to put anything more powerful than a 4.0L in front of it.

anything can be done if you have the skills and the endless pocket book
I'm doing a 4.3 Chevy fuel injected in my 3B
added a sm420 trans and a Dana 18 twin stick
so far between what I paid for Eng /trans/clutch assem wiring harness transfer case adapter and Eng mounts and Trany mounts I have almost 3 grand invested and its still not finished but I also do alot of hard rock crawling and extrem trails so I know what I'm spending is worth it to me , if I add everything else I did to this jeep so far it would go to a whopping 15 grand easy and thats not finished either
If you don't have proper tools and equipment to do the swap right or the experience I recommend you not attempt it
don't forget you could always regear to gain the power your lacking prob be alot cheaper and easier for you

Totally depends if you can weld/fabricate. Yes, anything's possible though.

Ever seen the movie money pit that's my jeep, but what fun in the end. Yes a lot of work, but it is my toy defiantly worth it. :lol:

A engine swap is not for the faint of heart, there is a lot of fabrication, ensuring the engine is centered in the frame, transmission swap, transfer case change, drive shaft change, wiring changes and so on. There are alternatives go to a junk yard and part out a 6 cyl jeep the difference in costs is nominal. Or just do a google search and you will find many who have great info on a engine swap.

Back