should I upgrade these axles?

ozziesstang

Hello
My 79 CJ7 came with a Dana 30 and Model 20 axles. Since I am planning on adding a 6" lift and additional steering stabilizers, should I upgrade to other axles? If so what are some of my options since I am seeing different axles for sale in my area...mostly on craigs list. Should I keep what I have and spend the money to replace seals and or gears if needed? (I beleive the front is shot! Basically I want something strong, powerfull and dependable for my jeep which is going to be used for some light trail fun and local driving for enjoyment. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks
:shades:
100_57551-1.jpg

Holy retarded amounts of lift batman
tell me it is just the way the picture was taken??

If it were me, I would ax the steering stabilizer all together, but one would be more than efficient, two would just be excessive.

as for your axles, depends on the tire size you plan on running and the intention of the vehicle. both those axles are more than capable of running a 35" tire off road with some mods. if you do nothing else, 1 piece rear shafts, upgrade to chromo's front and rear will increase longevity and durability. Also a regear is probably gonna be needed, I can't recall is 4:56 or 4:88 is the deepest you can go with a M20, but do it.

One thing that is really bothering me is your rear shackle angle, it is abismial.. your going to have very poor performance and ride quality out of those springs with a Negitive shackle angle. I understand that you vehicle is some what stripped down right now, but exactly how much more weight will be added to the rear? 100-200 pounds at best? a seat and a gas tank?
Just a little food for thought

wow, the stock combo would be ok, but if your buying tires to fit the lift, then ya, ya need to upgrade, the amc 20 is know for weak axle tubes, and the 30 u-joints might not last long.... early waggy 44's would keep your tires at the width they are at, and would not require much fab work. if ya go with 3/4 tons axles you will see some ground clearance loss. but not knowing the way to plan to wheel it or use it. i'm trying to keep it simple..

Yea this is pretty much where this project was when I bought it....I just finished restoration on a full size BK and am backing this one into the garage to begin. The shacks look to straight to me "too" but may not be for long... Me likes the retarded amount of lift.....Ya may say thats what cought my eye on the project to begin with. "to each his own". I will look into the staright axle and other suggestions and do something about the overspring and shackle buisness. Oh the tub is just sitting on the frame in the pic which explains the tilt. By next week that tub will be completelly blasted on the sides and underneath to see what I have to work with.
Any ideas what I should apply tp protect it with? Some are just going straigh to bed rhino liner from some of the articles I see.
Thanks

Feel free...ask...thats why were here. Like I said earlier I have been out of the jeep buisness for a long time. But here in Michigan rust is a problem. Should I not consider applieing anything to the underchariage?

Definatly put something on the under side of the tub. I am not a huge fan of truck bed coating.. I believe it is called lizard skin, but it is designed to be used as a undercoating. it is light weight and durable. Also check out the eastwood company, they have a rust encapsulation paint that really does well to seal the metal and protect it.

I would go full width fullsize axles, if you want it that high you need to be WIDE also.

OK not sure if its misworded like another tread but Ill see :D
Your doing 6 inches on top of that?
I would drop it 2 Inch just to get rid of the axle wrap problem that things going to have !!!! another issue I would be afraid of would be is axles taking off with out the rig since theres no tie ins anywhere and last but not least just look at it wrong and it will roll way to top heavy !!!and think about all them ujoints your going to need since you'll prob break more ujoints than driving the darn thing ,
and dont hit brakes hard cause thats a potential end over end disaster looking to happen especially on a incline

are those custom springs from a company like alcan or is that an actual kit?

you might want to try some stock shackles to improve the angle.. right now you are neg, the swing shackle is biased (leaning towards) the fixed end of the spring, under compression, the shackles natural motion should be to swing away from the fixed end, since yours is the wrong way, it will not allow for the spring and shackle to use the natural range of motion. a hard bump and you're at risk of bending or possibly breaking a spring

Since it is friday and my day so far has been pretty un-eventful, I drew this for you.

ghb-1.jpg

Just curious, you know that is not a CJ7 tub? What size of tires are you going to run?

Those have to be the most arched springs I have ever seen.

The axles depend on your tire size. I would try to find some 3/4 tons since it looks like you're going to put on some combine tires and drive it to Dairy Queen and in the back yard.

By the way, those mt's look pretty puny under there. You want to give em away, eh? :shades:

Research high steer setups and factor that investment in with the rest of your axle mods. After facing a similar choice I opted to invest the ring/pinion, locker, and highsteer expense in a HP Dana 44 setup instead of the questionable HP Dana 30.

That tub is just sitting on the frame to keep it off the ground. (It is for sale locally) also to give me an idea of what kind of settup I bought. Plus I wanted to see if the weight would bring down the hight some, as that is the way the frame was when I purchased it from kentucky. It came with brand spanking new rough country springs (which I want to use) and after cross refferencing the numbers are intended to provide between 2-12" of lift depending on the shackles and going over or under. I think the boys in Kentucky had plans on making a monster or something which is not what I want. Yes the shackles look to be monsterous for the application I want to use but when all is said and done I would like to have a total of 6" lift...(similar to the cj I had 10 yrs ago) and AM planning on changing those shacks. Apparently the photo has confused the issue...which I appologize for. I was just asking if I should replace the axles I mentioned....or rebuild what I have. And yes I know it isnt a cj tub....I have another post inquiring about tubs...this one is a late 80's wrangler if memory serves. Thanks

Last edited:
Back