Headers w/ AMC 360

82CJ7JEEP

My 82 CJ7 has an AMC 360. The left exhaust manifold has cracked and I would like to replace them with headers. I want to stay with long tubes but feel that I won't be able to go with the standard type. I have looked at the headers that exit the fenderwell but am not sure what type of mods will have to be done to accomodate these. Any opinions suggestions? Thanks in advance.

When I've installed new headers that wouldn't fit, I'd run to town (I live in the country) uncorked to the nearest muffler shop and have a new system welded/installed. Of course I planned this prior to getting the new headers, but nothing sweeter to my ear (save for my wife's gentle whisper) :eek: than running uncorked headers at highway speeds.

had Heddman fenderwell headers on my 77 cj with 304 and it was very basic install. you need to cut some of the inner fender away but its very easy to do. then the mufflers need to have a flange welded on to bolt up to the header. it doesnt need hangers or anything so its just collector to flange and turn out or turn down tips for your choice of muffler and your on the road. :)

I had hooker in frame headers on a 360 I had in a CJ, they were not coated or anything and were ugly as heck, I had them jet coated and they looked sweet... so don't discount used headers.

I had hooker in frame headers on a 360 I had in a CJ, they were not coated or anything and were ugly as heck, I had them jet coated and they looked sweet... so don't discount used headers.

What did the hooker say after you got'er coated? lol, J/K.:D

Steelheadz, Thank you for the info, I will have to post a pic but am not sure if "in frame" headers will fit on the left (drivers) side. The PO installed a hydraulic clutch and the actuator sits right off the transmission. I will snap a pic tonight and post it. Please take a look at your convenience and advise if you still recommend the "in frame" headers. Thank you to all of the posters, I am new to jeeps and am on a learning curve right now.

steelheadz, I have osted the pic I was referring too on my profile pics (I think). Sorry computer skills are not my strong suit. Anybody can take a look and advise if "in frame" headers will fit with the slave cylinder for the hydraulic clutch in the way.

I cant see nor find any profile pics to look at.
Click on "reply" then when the new window pops up, scroll down and look towards the left side of the page where it says "additional options". here you will find the "upload pictures" button. Click on it and upload the pics you have then click submit. You can upload up to 5 pics.

Steelheadz, Thanks for the info. I have uploaded the pic. Thanks again.

Attachments

• exhaust.jpg
    exhaust.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 1,014

A competent mufler shop that has a mandrel pipe bender should be able to fab you up with an elbow drop to clear that slave cylinder. I'd rather go that way than the fender headers that will constantly take the beating from the debris that get's slung by your tires and not to mention the possibility of your tires hitting it on sharp turns. Besides that, it's ugly to look at IMO.

Thanks for all of the information. I am going to do some more research on the headers and will re-evaluate my needs along with cost (main factor right now), as I have maybe 2000 miles left on current tires, does anyone know where I can get 33" boggers for less than 250 each?

I am with Steelheadz on the in frame i had hooker fender headers with a 3 inch lift and 33" tires on my 74 and was always tire grabbing when turning left not a good sound or good for equipment and wheel I am sure there is a good set up for them but i actual just went back with the stock exhaust manifolds and flowmasters. I did research the in frame and would have went that route money permitting.

The only downside to the in frame type is wrench clearance when working on clutch linkage in CJ's of my era.
Tracy, Where did you find Hooker headers at? I've been told by more than one that they no longer support Jeep.

Johnny, I saw your post; "I had hooker in frame headers on a 360 I had in a CJ" Would you know the Hooker sku or part no.?

HAH! Found 'em for the AMC motors pn. 9403HKR
As I recall from the '80's when I had my Steppenwolf Jeep the tubes on these Hookers allowed more clearance to get at the header bolts than other brands.

Last edited:
Back