'75 CJ5 won't stay running

nvmycj

Hi guys & gals!

Let me preface the following statements with: I am by no means a mechanic.

So,... I REPLACED MY SELONOID STARTER AND IT STARTED UP AFTER 3 CRANKS!!! WOO-HOO!!!! Then went out for a joy ride. So excited and happy that I did something as simple as that!

Now my dilemma: I went to start it this am, the engine would start up (crank or turn over?) right away, but would immediately die. (TOTAL BUZZ KILL) :cry::cry::cry:

I've got fuel in the filter. Gas is squirting into carb. New battery and selonoid.

Where is my issue? Why is it not staying running?

Again, as before, all of your expertise would be appreciated!

~Matej

Have you verified that you are getting spark? Possibly bad coil?

I just had a similar problem with my cj7. Mine would always crank, and usually start. Sometimes it would run for as long as I needed it, other times it would just turn off on its own. My problem turned out to be the ignition module in the coil. Im running a mallory unilite distributor, but the condition would be about the same in most distributors. Usually the module just dies, but sometimes it dies slowly. Hope this helps.

Hmmm.....but why'd it turn on right away yesterday?

And whats a bad coil look like? Burned? Melted?

Thanks!!

you may have a chard wire or cut and its grounding out or your coil may be on its way out

Starts, but dies. You said you replaced the solenoid. I would start there. Double check your wiring. sounds like the ignition wire may be loose, corroded or something. Your jeep should use a ford solenoid. Disconnect the ignition wire, try and jump the solenoid to start your engine. If it starts, you have a bad wire or swtch. I am only guessing mind you, but always worth a try

My bet is on the ignition module. If OEM 1975, you should have a Prestolite ignition system; none of the components were very good.

Does It run in start position on the key an than die when you let the key off to run postiion?if so your new solenoid is bad.

Ummmm....I just tried to jump the battery and it won't even do that. My lights won't even turn on? I bought the battery 3 days ago and selonoid 2 days ago...

I'm heading back to O'reilly Auto to see if my battery is dead...

Any other suggestions?

Okaaaaaaay... This is VERY odd. I took my battery in to check it--> 13volts. So that's ok.

I put it back in the jeep, and it started.

What the heck??

do you have after market battery termals .the wire maybe not making good contack may need clean. or engine to body ground strap

Battery connection issues mess things up. Bad (or missing) ground wire to the body from battery negative? Bad connection of the wires you put on the solenoid? If not that, burnt ignition resistor wire. (the wire that goes to the "I" terminal on the solenoid is for 12 volt power boost to the ignition system). If it has no power with the key on, resistor is burnt out. You can temporarily (or permanently like I did) add a wire from the ignition to the I terminal wire and add a resistor inline (ICR12 is NAPA's part number)

Back