Getting Rid of Carpet?

wareaglewild85

Thinking of scrapping the carpet in my 2000TJ and going with bedliner material inside the tub. How many of you guys have done this, and are there any drawbacks? More noise? Holla!

Peace! 8)

I've run bedliner in several CJs & my YJ. I can't think of a downside. Noise? The soft top,tires & or loud exhaust were always too loud to notice any noise.

havent noticed any exhaust heat issues,much colder in winter than with carpet.road noise? if i cared about road noise i wouldnt own a jeep!!!

Ok, I thought I remembered a thread a long time ago about heat, maybe under the passenger side. Wouldn't be the first time I was wrong.

I removed all my carpet when the Jeep was new (in fact, I removed the whole interior, exept for the two front seats) . I keep the bikini top (or OEM top with no back windows) on if it's going to rain, otherwise no top / no doors. The back gets rained in and I keep the drain plugs out. You'll want to remove the front drain plugs too because water will run under the seats and collect in the front floors on hills.

As far as noise is concearned, yes... I notice a little more noise but the wind noise is far louder. I hear "wet road" noise more now than I did before but no biggie. These noise increases are only noticed when the full top is on - when she's all open you can't tell any different.

Heat and cold? I drive barefoot and I can tell you the floors get pretty hot in summer from the engine and pretty cold in winter (unless I run the heater) . If it's really hot out (like over 90) and I go on a long highway trip I bring a little wood shingle to rest my right heel on (the left one goes up on the seat mount after shifting gears) . You do get that "baked" feeling after a while. On the back roads it's not as bad.

No top, no doors, no interior = max FUN
Best of luck - John

I tried running my TJ with out the heat shield on the exhaust.I could have easily cooked you some nice eggs and bacon on the rear passenger floor.I ended reinstalling,after repairing it,my heat shield.

heat really hasnt been an issue for me we rarely get a day over 80 f even in august prob makes a big difference on heat factor,as a bonus i can also be in mud 4l 2 gear 5000 rpms and the temp gauge never goes higher than normal

I have more heat in the cabin with no carpet but I have a leak at the muffler.

Its illegal to drive with no foot wear in texas and cali so I don't know how it gets in the driver's foot well. The passenger side is definitely warmer though

Bed line AND carpet is what I did. Great noise muffling.

X2; I Rhino Lined my interior. With just the lining, it's about as quiet as it was with just the carpet. With both on, it's a bit quieter. I take the carpet off when I go wheeling... Keep it on the rest of the time.

I have more heat in the cabin with no carpet but I have a leak at the muffler.

Its illegal to drive with no foot wear in texas and cali so I don't know how it gets in the driver's foot well. The passenger side is definitely warmer though

Actually is is NOT illegal to drive passenger vehicles barefoot in any US state or Canada - this is an urban myth. -John

yes sir, i was just able to come update what i learned after reading your post. it is true, there is no law in any state (minus kentucky) requiring footwear while driving. kentucky has two minus laws about driving unsafely and driving in an unsafe manner that a police officer could get a person on but it would be easily fought in court.

so, you are correct. driving barefoot is legal in texas and cali

I pull the carpet for summer time cause I do more water crossing during the summer, so I have the bedliner for that. and winter time I put the carpet back in for insulation. It does keep the cockpit a little warmer.

I pulled my carpet out back in March and herculined the floor boards, sold my carpet about a month ago with no regrets! Makes easier to clean out after wheeling!

i was thinking about doing the same thing, but my concern would be more for warmth/cold as opposed to noise.

not to hijack your thread , but those of you that have done it, is it a lot colder in the winter since there is "less insulation"?

and those of you that have done it to their TJ, have any gray carpet you want to get rid of ;)

Back