1993 wrangler

Gundoc

I have just bought a 1993 wrangler and the seller said the gears in front do not match the rear so when you move jeep 4 or 5 inches it slides he said need new ring and penion gears? drives ok but 4 x4 dosent work??
anyone got any ideas?? appears to be an all stock jeep just been sitting a while??

thanks,

I'd pull the front driveshaft until you get the axle gears straightened out. You'll need to change the gearset (ring and pinion) in one of the axles to match the other.

Post up what the two ratios are front and rear, which engine and transmission you have, and what tire size you plan on running. We'll recommend which ratio to stick with.

I'd pull the front driveshaft until you get the axle gears straightened out. You'll need to change the gearset (ring and pinion) in one of the axles to match the other.

Post up what the two ratios are front and rear, which engine and transmission you have, and what tire size you plan on running. We'll recommend which ratio to stick with.
I have the 2.5 with 5 speed stick..also have 31.10.50s on it now?? Is this a common problem?? and what gear ratio should it have and what should i go back with? how do you tell whats in front and rear?/:???:

The 2.5L 5spd came with 4.10 gears from the factory, or 4.10 in one axle and 4.11 in the other, which is a non-issue. Check the tag attached to each diff cover under one of the bolts, post what numbers are on the tags.

If you fear they're really different in each axle, I'd recommend pulling the diff covers and getting the numbers off the edge of the ring gear to be 100% sure of each ratio.

Back