ecm location

Markinnevada

Well just when you guys thought the guy in Nev. couldn't be dumber that he was, here's another question. My book, and online research says my 83cj-7 has an icm, I'm thinking it's ignition control module. My jeep runs a bit rough even after replacing the usual, wires plugs cap rotor and mirrors( needed it anyway). My diag. book says to disconnect the orange and black wires from the icm, plug the vac advance and re-adjust the timing and idle screws. Problem is I can't find anything that remotely looks like a module. I have been all over the jeep. I have a little box next to the fuse block inside 2"x2", but it doesn't resemble any other module I've seen before. I've straightened out the hard starting, and most of the idle probs. but it still stalls when I put in gear. Thought maybe I should check the module unless someone tells me different. I'm also thinking about a new carb but it seems fine. Thought the icm might control the carb also since it has a relay type device plugged in the back. Cyborgish at best. Comments welcome ( about the Jeep)!!!

Have you checked behind the coolant reservoir under the hood on the driver side fender?

Have you checked behind the coolant reservoir under the hood on the driver side fender?
No I haven't looked there. I traced the wiring harness back to the forewall, but thought I had looked everywhere. Believe me, I wouldn't be surprised to find it under the front seat...I did look there too. Can you tell me how big this thing is? Thanks for the help. I'm surprised this thing isn't on the passenger side where the distributor and coil are, but since the carb is on the other side and the vaccuum crap is in the middle, I'd have mounted it on the underside of the hood, and clearly marked it with a " do not touch" sign, for engineers like me to find.

Roughly a 4x6 aluminum box enclosure. It should be under the coolant and windshield washer reservoir on the driver There are 2 round connectors that routes to the firewall.

Roughly a 4x6 aluminum box enclosure. It should be under the coolant and windshield washer reservoir on the driver There are 2 round connectors that routes to the firewall.
Son of a gun, there the darn thing is, and it was easier than tipping the jeep over. Have you had any issues with timing your jeep, estimating that you might do some of the work yourself. The book says to unplug the orange and black wire plug then re-time it. I guess it must associate the timing and the carb settings and who knows what else with the little silver boxe's duties. I'm wondering if this will straighten up the rough idling. Any guesses, and I'll take guesses also. Heck the new mirrors already made it run better, like test driving a car after putting a new cheap stereo, everything runs better. Also ever had to change the gasket between the hood and windscreen?
Thanks for the help.

You should have a ECM on top of the glove box fastened to the heater box.You have to take off the glove box door and take out the box and you should see it.

Back