Problem shifting my '91 YJ 1st and 2nd and even R

TXTechJeep

I just bought a '91 YJ 2.5 L with 173 K on it. I have a little dificulty getting it into 1st and 2nd gear. If it's rolling a bit, no problem... I can go right into gear. Don't know if it's a clutch issue or a transmission problem. Also have problems going into R.

Try changing the transmission oil to Redline MT-90; AX-5's recommended GL-5 lubricant, but the GL-5 eats up yellow metals (as in your syncronizers!), which is why GL-5 later got a designation GL-5 MT-1 (safe for yellow metals). Of all the lubricants I have used, i have found that MT-90 actually improves being able to shift into 1st from a stand still (in other words, it brings back your AX-5). What you describe is a typical symptom of your synchros going down the drain, so I would try to change soon...

x2 on changing the fluid to Redline MTL or MT-90. The owners manual has a misprint and states use a GL-5 lube. Like jfrabat said do not use GL-5 it is the wrong lube spec
Since reverse is a non synchro gear then I do not suspect the synchros. I would take a look at the clutch throw, the clutch may be dragging a little when you press the clutch pedal in.

Probably an obvious suggestion but are you pushing your clutch down all the way? Mine has a certain spot I have to stop to get good shifts. Not very technical but I used to have that problem..(bought a standard jeep without ever driving standard). =]

Back