D35 Finally Broke

captjanes

so i ran 35 inch bfgs for 4 years with 4.88 gears and it finally broke. now it is time to go for a big axle. what do i go for that will fit my jeep and i can still use my drive shaft and not have to modify it very much. and i would like to use 38 inch bfgs M/T. i only has a ax5 transmission is this ok. i need my jeep up and running again. please help me out here. i want to do it right this time and i do not want it to break and i will most likely lock it down the road

The only thing I can think of that will fit with out to much work will be a 44 out of a TJ. Though I think you should beef it up if you will be runing 38''

i am gonna stick with the 35's now i think. if i use the d44 can i use my old rims 5x4.5 or is the lug pattern different? also can i use my stock drive shaft?

i am gonna stick with the 35's now i think. if i use the d44 can i use my old rims 5x4.5 or is the lug pattern different? also can i use my stock drive shaft?

If you get a 44 out of a TJ you will be able to use the same rims, although I'm not sure about the driveshaft. If you have to get a new driveshaft I'd go with a ford 8.8. Do a search on it, there are many write ups all over the internet about it. It also uses the 5x4.5 lug pattern.

i think i am going with the bolt in Ford 8.8 from ECGS. do anyone have any experience with this setup?

I would not go to 38's if I were you. If you put D44's front and rear, you could go to 36's (even boggers, TSL or such, which tend to be bigger than their radial counterparts) if you gear for it, but 38's may just be too much for the little 4-popper...

This is one of those arguments you just cant win in. Like politics, religion, or taxes. The old attach was 33's on a 35, 35's on a 44, and 38's on a 60, Rockwell's for everything else.
But with super axles and higher spline counts, and or careful skinny pedal usage some people have broken these rules.
Since your not out doing competition hard core wheeling, or the axle would have gone a lot sooner. I would say some 44's would hold up just fine, but to add some insurance to the mix like upgrading them with super axle shafts and higher spline counts. For that fab in without upgrading the guts a set of 60's will do just fine.

i think i am going with the bolt in Ford 8.8 from ECGS. do anyone have any experience with this setup?

I do. I got my 8.8 from them, and I'd do it again. They were great and reasonable, in my opinion, too.

Back