Where should I mount my Wrangler transmission cooler?

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
I've purchased a new transmission cooler for my 05 Wrangler, but can't really find a good protected place to mount it. The only place that I've found that looks protected is above the rear axle.

Are there any downsides to mounting the cooler that far away? Fluid would have to go from the transmission, through the radiator, back to the cooler (above the rear axle), then back to the transmission.

Possibilitys for leaks. Hose damage. Rocks may get sprayed up. We mount all ours right in front of the rad. That way it's out of the way from dirt and mud. Gets proper air flow and you can use the factory lines.

Do you normally use both the factory cooler and the aux cooler, or do you just use the new aux cooler? Does mounting the cooler in front of the radiator add much heat to the engine (i.e. reduced airflow).

After spending 15 minutes under my Jeep yesterday I couldn't find many spots. I see that others have mounted it under the rear axle, but I'm not sure if I like it or not

Attachments

• transcooler.jpg
    transcooler.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 16,024
Last edited:
Always use the factory cooler to it not only cools the fluid it warms it up. Trans fluid works best warm. You won't notice the engine temp increase as the rad is a much bigger surface area. I would be scared to mount it over my rear diff. If a rock or something gets thrown up on the road. Game over also not much air flow there.

The cooler your planning to mount, does it have its own fan like the one pictured?

I've seen them. Never needed one with a fan even towing with the stock one and a 10000 lb trailer on my Chevy never got to warm even through the mountains. In my eyes might be over kill just another electrical load for the alternator to take care of. But if ya go that route let me know how you like it and where you install.

Do you normally use both the factory cooler and the aux cooler, or do you just use the new aux cooler? Does mounting the cooler in front of the radiator add much heat to the engine (i.e. reduced airflow).

After spending 15 minutes under my Jeep yesterday I couldn't find many spots. I see that others have mounted it under the rear axle, but I'm not sure if I like it or not

Check this link out. knuckelhead is on a few forums and has run his trans cooler where you are suggesting for years. He also has other usefully mods while you are at it. Very knowledgeable and to the point. Think your image is from this post.
Keep your automatic transmission alive, review/installation of Derale's transmission cooler - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
http://www.quadratecforum.com/showthread.php?t=72574&highlight=trans+cooler

Last edited:
The cooler that you posted a link for is more or less designed to be used on a vehicle not equipt with a factory cooler. you should be using the stock cooler in the radiator. if you have determined that your trans is getting hotter than you want (should not exceed 220F, the ATF will start to break down) you should add a additional piggy back cooler. the best location that I use in my pick up, I put it right up front behind the grille infront of the AC condenser.

Towing my jeep on the trailer with the bed laoded with tools and gear in the bed driving through the white mountains at about 65-70 mph, I won't go any higher than 215F normal driving empty, 150-170 at best.

I took your advice and am installing a new B&M cooler in the traditional place (front of radiator). I have it mounted, but not plumbed.

IMG_0938-jeep-transmission-cooler.JPG

I've a few new questions:

1. Which line (driver or pass) on the radiator of my 2005 returns the cooled fluid to the transmission?
  2. Should I cut the rubber portion of the line near the radiator and install that way, or is there a better way (i.e. hooking directly to the hard lines)?

Thanks for the help everyone.

I've been doing more research, and it appears that there were changes in 2003 when the 42rle came out. This is supposed to be accurate:

transmissioncoolerdiagram.jpg

aren't automotive vehicles designated left/passenger and right/driver? i know aviation is designated left/driver because everything is set up like you are in the pilot seat and give the directions from that point. (mostly from that point, that and the the firewall is 0 for finding cog

Back