question for the pros

jasonc

Can my stock drive train 89 4.2 5 speed manual handle running 35 inch tires? Or do i have to wait till I upgrade my drivetrain some day? Thanks. Guys

I'll bite... By no means am I a pro, but with the engine size you have, if you still have hwy gears, you should be fine all you shoul notice is. Drop in mpg. Increase the power and you may need to increase the strength. You could always do like we do here, try it ..... If it breaks upgrade it. It'll darn sure look good

Ok thanks for input. I just remeber reading somewhere on here that stock drive train was only good for up to 33s which is what I'm running now. I just did not want to try 35s if its going to surely break something.

Your axles are your weak link. The 35 rear doesn't like 33s much less 35s and you are prob geared so high you'd loose 5th gear without regearing your axles. Plenty of people run 35s on a 30/35 combo but if you wheel it you will break shafts, not a matter of if but when.

K so what is the minimum i need to do to safely run 35s?

What do you want to do with the jeep? Highway? Mild offroad? Crazy offroad? Your gearing would suck but if moneys tight you could swap in axles from a 4cly yj that would get you 4.10 gears, if you don't lock the rear and put in some superior brand axles shafts you'd have a daily driver/weekend warrior for a lot less than swapping in heavier duty stuff that you may not need/use.

i could get away with stock axles and 35s because my jeep doesn't know what off road is because there is none around here. its an asphalt jeep.

superj said:
i could get away with stock axles and 35s because my jeep doesn't know what off road is because there is none around here. its an asphalt jeep.

Didn't lil'redyj run stock axles with 44's?

I don't do anything crazy just very mild off roading when i hunt. Its my play toy not my daily driver. My main reason for it is to have a good duck and dear hunting vehicle, something to get me thru a foot of snow in the winters, and of course to have the coolest topless vehicle on the road the rest of year

i thought she did have stock axles with her 44s but i wasn't 100% sure so i didn't mention it. check her profile, doesn't it list her stuff?

this is her last post, i believe.

----------------------------------------------------

Might want to consider A SYE w/ CV driveshaft set up... They seem to have dropped in price some lately, so not a huge $$ investment......

Best $$ I have spent on my '89 was on a Hi-Steer kit... Night & day difference!!!

As for sound bars... I have the 6 speaker one from VDP... and my radio/receiver is mounted vertically in the center console.. So I can lock it up & it protects it from the weather... But I'm bikini / topless only..

Mine was already sprayed inside when I bought it (stock but no top) its great except they even did the roll bar.. Why? No need.. Looks 1000x better now with the roll bar cover ... (and feels better)

If you do decide to swap out axles.. Might as well go ahead and re- gear... You'll be happier in the long run..(. I went for a quick fix & swapped in some axles w/lower gears that I got for free...but I need to go lower still.... )

I'd save the "under hood" stuff till after you finish the suspension/ steering mods... But That's just me;-)

Take lots of pictures... & have fun!!!

I think you are stock geared at 3:73. That was with a stock tire of about 29 inch diameter.
If you go to 35's you can expect that gear ratio to drop to about 3:10.It will do ok on the HWY but your torque is gone.
Every added inch in tire diameter will change your ratio by a factor of 10.
I have a 87 4.2 auto that is running great stock and I was considering 33's but I know I will need gears to go that way. Try a re-gear to at least 4:10 which will get you back close to the stock torque range or 4:56 for a lttle more punch.

4.2 with 5 speed will be 3.07:1 gears stock. you can run 35's for street/high way driving. depending on where you live, you will probably down shift into 4th on the highway at spped, but it is completely do-able. I've drove a 81 CJ with a 4.2 and 2.73:1 gears and 36" iroks and it was completely fine. difference being that the T18 in that jeep didn't have OD.

If I were you, I would swap in a 8.8 rear and re-gear to at least 4.56:1 minimum.

Back