getting the rotors off on a 82 cj7 help!

igor

is there any trick to getting the rotors off a 1982 cj 7. my son and i am trying to do this but have hit a wall figurativly. any suggestions gang

Its been a long time since I changed front rotors on a cj and had to look it up in my manual. Terry is correct, the hub and rotor come off together. to get the hub off take out the small allen head bolts on the lock out dial then the 6 bolts holding the hub on, there is a snap ring inside the dial cap on the edge of the axle shaft, once thats off you can take off the nuts and put the rotor and hub off.A rubber hammer should seperate the two. If you dont want to go out and buy a spindle nut socket you can use a big flat head screwdriver and hammer, put the screwdriver on one of the nut points and whack it put back on the same way. It does chew up the nut some but I never had a problem. when puting it back on, tighten it untill the wheel has turning resistance then back it off a 1/4 turn.

Last edited:
Hey Igor,

Do yourself a favor, as Terry said and get the spindle nut socket. I believe it is 2 1/16" inch? I believe Advanced Auto has them or you can go the Morris 4X4 and get the socket and new lock nut kit (X2, one for each side). Plus, being a LEO, you get a 10% discount from them!

Also, if you guys are having trouble, I can come over to your place this weekend and help out?

Back