yj carb problems help!!!!

David Burress

ok tuned my carter 4.2 i6 runs good does not stall drives very well. now my problem is when off road if i have trouble on a slope (stall and restarting) it will completely shut down and i have to get pulled to restart it. nutter has been done and plugs wires cap rotor fuel pump is strong...im lost at this point also wont rev past 3000 sounds like a rev limiter but no comp control so its odd any help is great thanks.

Also dont tell me to junk the carter im trying to fix this so i can still have some fun before the 351w goes in

First check for CEL codes. If no codes, check your battery voltage.IT should be 12.6 engine off and 14.4V engine running. The rev past 3000 is likely a cam position sensor (CPS).

the 89 4.2 has a cam sensor in the distributor right? and havent read any of the codes cause most of the sensors are gone due to the nutter. (smog emissions and a ton vacuum lines) oh and volts are good even with the electric fan 13 v while running

13 seems low. Check your terminal connections and ground connections. Make sure they are clean and tight. By clean I mean shinny. Yes the CPS is in the distributor.

connections are good fan pulls alot of power. ford contour fan.. and before i had this issue it has been running at 13v or so. plus the alt has been tested and new terms on the batt

Well.... I'm hoping one of the guys on this site that still has the Charter Carb/Motorcraft would chime in. Most of my experience is with Webers and Holleys.

Based on the quick search I did, you will likely need to disassemble the carb. Not sure if you have a single and double barrel? I would first find out what carb I have and search YouTube. You may as well get a rebuild kit since you are going to have to take it apart. Any of the big chain Auto Parts stores will have them and they are not that expensive.

Also, I you have a Nutter Bypass, I believe there is something on the carb that needs to be disconnected? Regardless, this arcticle should help you understand this process better: The "Nutter" Bypass .I believe it's a needle valve that is linked to the emisions equipment or a stepper motor? Again, not 100% certain. I have only converted the stock set up to either a Weber or Holley.

What is your timing set at? What distributor do you have, the stock one? I wouldn't worry about the 13v for now, that doesn't seem to be the problem. What year keep are we talking about? I doubt you can pull codes with it nuttered. Mine can give no codes and mine is nuttered.

kinda what i thought as far as codes and nutter.. timing is at 8 degrees stock distributor 89 yj the real question on the float was where should i set it for off roading and slopes

I have always heard to set them a little lower that specs.

Back