Limiting straps with a long arm kit?

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
I'm trying to plan out my long arm upgrade (2.5 or 3.5 inches), and was wondering if it's normal to run limiting straps when you've got a long arm. I'll still be running trackbar front and back, but I get the impression that the shocks would end up limiting travel on the passenger side.

Are limiting straps the normal solution, or would top and bottom spring retainers do the job? Or, is this something that most people don't worry about.

i have no idea but i was always told in racing that i don't have to worry about the shocks extending to much, only compressing them to much. we used limiting straps to keep the springs from coming out since our springs were so short

The use of limit straps should not be necessary. All my coils are retained with spring clips. Will add pictures in the morning if you want Terry.

Sent from my PG86100 using Jeepz

I agree. No need to run limiting straps unless you start loosing springs. I've been running long arms for 5 years with no need. Even after I outboarded the rear shock mounts and went to 12" travel shocks.

Thanks guys. I'll wait and see if I have any problems before forking out for limiting straps.

The point of the limiting straps is that when your suspension articulates so much, depending on how the suspension is set up, it can cause drive line binding and blown joints. the limiting straps are generally used to limit the droop to eliminate the binding.

That said, around here we generally use junk yard seat belts as dirt cheap limiting straps, always mount them in double shear.

Back