clutch Pedal adjustment???

The wife is having difficulty depressing the clutch enough to not grind the gears. She has the seat all the way up and needs just a hair more to be able to engage it all the way. Moving the seat will not work because the steering wheel is almost in her lap as it is. I guess I could add a piece of 2x4 but I wanted to see if there was anything else first.
Jim

Yes there is an adjustment. Between the frame and the bellhousing on the drivers side there's an adjustment rod going to the clutch arm coming out of the side of the bellhousing. Lengthen the rod so that the clutch will take sooner. Be careful not to adjust it too much or you will wear out the throw out bearing inside prematurely. Leave it so there is some free play in the pedal.

Also check the body side bell crank bracket to the firewall. They sometimes crack on the sheet metal and moves as you depress the clutch and not allowing the pedal travel to adjust the clutch to completely release the throw out bearing.

Thanks, I'll check everything out later today. Too hot right now to lay on the dirt

Also check the body side bell crank bracket to the firewall. They sometimes crack on the sheet metal and moves as you depress the clutch and not allowing the pedal travel to adjust the clutch to completely release the throw out bearing.
I dealt with this last month. I don't like the bellcrank design or having one side mounted to the engine and the other to the body. My Scrambler has hydraulic, I think it's a better design.

Yep my CJ is hydraulic also. No cracks where the pedal mounts to the firewall and the small adjustment on the actuator did not make a difference. I'll have to add a spacer to the pedal so she can engage it. Her short legs just cant push it far enough.

Back