SBC in a cj7 with quadratrac and offset rear amc20?

hoobness

I've hinted before how I wish I had a SBC 350 in my cj instead of the AMC 304. Cheaper power, abundant parts locally, and a ton of aftermarket support, plus I know it better. Anyway.
The other day I was attempting to fix a exhaust manifold (header) leak that was driving me insane. After removing the passenger side header and grinding it straight from end to end I realize the real issue...a broken header bolt resulting in a no seal situation And noisy junky sounding jeep.
((Why I didn't find it to begin with is something my Buddy said after spending an hour straighting the mounting flange of the header))
Its the last bolt closest to the firewall, broken off in in the head. Its apparent I have to remove the head to fix this. .........
After researching the cost of a pair of reman 304 heads, I'd rather just swap for a Chevy 350.
I've read in some Jim Allen books its not possible without changing everything behind it up to and including the rear axle.
That true,? If so I'll stay with amc., and look for a 360 or bigger..

Thanks again guys. Stay awesome.

Its possible but, as far as I know the bolt pattern to trans is different (adapter). If you swap trans then you will need a adapter for the tcase. The rearend should hold up fine IMO if you have one piece axles installed, I don't think the factory AMC20 would last long with the two piece shafts. I ran the AMC20 with one piece shafts and a locker for many years behind a v8 with no problems with lots of offroading.
It would be simpler to install a AMC motor, but the 360 only has 25 more hp than the 304. I am running a SBC and Muncie trans with a adapter for tcase and stock axles.

Last edited:
Sounds sacrilegious here but I don't to a lot of wheeling with this jeep compared to the yj I used to have -which was off road every time I saw a trail...I'd turn around and follow it lol ..all the time.
I don't have faith in this thing, nor do I have the money I used to have. Money is the defining issue here. Its mainly a beach buggy down here in st Pete. I'm on the fence about a new engine since finding a rusty broken stud in the head. And I'd rather put an SBC if I were to go that route. They're all over ctaigslist for super cheap.

You don't have to stick with your transmission when you do a conversion. There are all sorts of adaptors for shoe horning in a V-8 into your ole heep.
Advanced adaptors and Novak offer a library/tech vault to help you decide what motor or motor/trans combo to choose. They also have great information on how to make your jeep last with said conversions.

I have a sbc with a Muncie trans and NP transfer case. AMC with 1 piece axles. Everything is great. I am thinking about putting a locker in.

Back