1985 CJ7 AMC 20 Rear axle

meekorp

I need to replace the seals on my rear passenger side axle

However, someone welded the axle nut to the axle shaft

Can I still continue unencumbered and get around that?

Thanks!

You be able move it but not reinstall it. Regardless, I would recommend a 1 piece axle upgrade.

Welding the hub to the shaft is an old school fix for a slipped / stripped key. When you price out your replacement parts, it's more economical to upgrade to a 1 piece ( search US Alloy axles) plus it will give you a better service life.

Do not buy into the hype that you will read about the AMC 20 axle being sub-par! It's a good axle once you upgrade some parts.

Sorry...... Fat figured this with my iPhone. You'll be able to remove it but not re-install it. The rest is what I was getting at...

Yes the one piece has been a debate within my mind

Many forums say I will have to get a mechanic to install the drivers side due to the shims

I'm trying hard to keep the cost down since the body's in rough shape

But I do love the CJ series enough to want to keep it as my every day drive

I guess the life expectancy depends on my willingness to keep it going

Thanks for the advice!

I installed a one piece axle kit on the amc 20 and I think most people with any mechanical ability could do it. There were shims but a feeler gauge is all that's needed. I thought it was tougher getting the bearings pressed on than it was dealing with the shims.

X2 on the install, not so much hard as time consuming to set up the first time. Superior Axle made a very good kit with clear instructions, but they went out of business.

Most 4x4 shops (like Morris or Quadrtec) sell the AMC 20 axle shim kit which has a variety of different thickness shims. You will also need to check for end play on each axle so you'll need a run out gauge ( most auto parts stores rent them out).

Back