87 yj front axles wont engage

bigkw91

Hey guys. I just picked up an '87 yj 4.2 5 speed about. Week ago. Truck runs strong but has a few minor issues. My main issue is that the 4 wheel drive will not engage. The transfer case engages and the front drive shaft is turning. But neither of the front wheels are spinning. Any input on this before i open her up.

Thanks,
Kris

Passenger side, on the back of the front axle is a small square box, inside that box is a fork that slides a collar that engages your front axles. that may be shot. If that looks fine, it may be your vacume hoses that actuate that componet. The hoses have run under the battery, acid from the battery may have gotten on those hoses and caused a problem there.
I'm just going by my experiences with a 91 Yj, not sure if it it is the same set up. If it is , I would recommend getting a cable set up from quadratec to replace the vacume line set up. Good luck bro

P.S. Welcome to the site, mighty fine crowd we got here.

What he said ^^^ is accurate. Here's what the vacuum disconnect on the front axle looks like, looking from behind the front passenger tire.
20110603_021812_4xvac2-1.jpg

Here's a vacuum diagram that should help you trouble shoot the system.
vacuummap-1.gif

I would start by pulling the two vacuum lines from the front axle, usually black, that feed the disconnect from the transfer case switch. With the vehicle running, have a friend shift the transfer case from 2wd to 4wd, while you feel for vacuum in the two lines. Strong vacuum should switch between the two lines depending on 2wd and 4wd.

You should also remove the 4 bolts holding the disconnect to the front axle. Remove the disconnect from the axle housing and move the shift fork by hand. It should move back and forth easily, forcing air out of the vacuum ports when moved. Rusty water may also come out the vacuum ports.

Like mentioned, corroded or broken vacuum lines are a common problem, especially under the battery. Make sure the vacuum source from the intake manifold to the transfer case switch (usually red vacuum line) is intact.

The switch on the transfer case could also be bad. They're available at most auto parts stores under the 'Help' brand of accessories.

For an easy fix to get 4wd engaged, remove the disconnect from the front axle housing. Slide the shift collar toward the driver's side to engage both axle shafts. Install the disconnect upside down and the fork will hold the shift collar in the locked position. You will now have 4wd. You can run this way on the road but the front axle will be spinning the front driveshaft while in 2wd (the front axle does not drive the front driveshaft if the axle is disconnected and in 2wd).

Post up your findings, and if you have any more questions.

Thanks for the input. I have off all day tomorrow and am going to dig into it then.

Ill post up what i find

Im still going to tear into the dif tomorrow. But i am wondering what are the negatives of running the collar manually locked into the axle all the time. Besides the possibility of some vibration at speed.

Most likely going to order and install the cable kit. Just wondering for the time being bc i have a house in the mountains and im going there for the weekend and they are predicting snow.

You won't get vibes as long as the front driveshaft is balanced. The only downside is a small decrease in mileage. Lock it in and forget it.

Ok. So i tore into the diff today. I found that i do have good vacuum and all lines are good. But the switch isnt adjusting the coupler. I removed the disconnect and checked the collar. All ok. Checked the vacuum diaphragm and shift fork. Movement is good.

Im guessing the transfer case switch is bad.

So i re-install the disconnect. I swapped the vacuum lines and tested. The collar shifted and 4x4 worked perfectly.

Im happy i got it to work and i can easliy just swap the lines to engage and disengage.

But im going to order the posi-lok kit in a week or 2.

Next order of business it the transmission casing is leaking pretty bad. I did a quick patch to slow it down. But i know the trans is going to have to come out.

Im not going to put that french junk back in when i do haha.

How much is it for the ax15 swap. And how involved is it?

Thanks for all the input guys,
Kris

Back