1994 4.0 Jeep Cherokee - Stalling problem - Need help fast!

KWJeep

I am posting this here since the engine in my Cherokee is also in some CJ, YJ & TJ's

I am fixing up a friends 1994 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 Ltr straight 6 cylinder (104K miles), auto
transmission & 4X4.

I either need a good Jeep site I can post this question or help from some
of the guru's on this board that may know the problem.
The damn thing runs fine (plenty of power, starts fine, not knocking and no obvious
electrical probs). However, once warmed up, it will stall for NO APPARENT reason. It is
like someone turned off the key. You can restart it in neutral real easily. It only stalls
when coasting (like when comming to a stop light or when slowing to take a turn) and it
does not do every time. I have replaced the dist cap, rotor and all wires and spark
plugs. The coil is running to spec according to the ohm meter. The Ignition Control
Module (well, I can't find it) but a local mechanic says it is a very expensive unit.

I am at wits end and really need to try to get an answer. The local Jeep dealer here has
hooked it up to their diag machine and found NOTHING. Maybe that is because it only
happens when you are running the vehicle and not at idle in a garage.

ANY help is welcome.......I'll even buy the beer should you make it this way!
[addsig]

dude, if its random stalling (and i mean random) then theres a good chance its your crankshaft sensor. my 93 cherokee would just die at random intervals that became increasingly worse over a 6 month period. soetimes it wouldnt stal for weeks and i would think the problem was gone untill WHAM ...another stall. restarting usually only took a few seconds but that too took longer after a few months. 93 had a service notification regarding the cranshaft sensor. good luck.
[addsig]

Back