Deleting smog?

GlenwoodCJ7

The PO of my jeep (CJ7) AMC 360 upgraded the exhaust and when he did he deleted the cats (catalytic converter). I live in western Colorado and there is no smog requirements here and being that I am under the hood cleaning out his rats nest of wiring, I figured I would also delete the rest of the smog since it's not doing the job without the cats and also being I'm not going to spend the $$ to redo the exhaust and have them put back in. Can anyone provide guidance on doing this and what is safe to come off and what is not? I definitely want to lose the smog pump and exhaust risers (for lack of a better word) I've heard to leave the PCV valve in place and to just put a cover over the EGR opening. What else am I missing?

Thanks folks!

you need cats, thats a federal law. not a county controlled law.

i took the smog stuff off the yj but left the cat. i took it all off

you need cats, thats a federal law. not a county controlled law.

i took the smog stuff off the yj but left the cat. i took it all off

Well, whatever the law is regarding cats, I'm not putting back on what someone else removed. I've got most the other stuff out of the way already. The bolts on the risers just broke off, so I will just have the holes welded closed. The exhaust manifolds were barely torqued down and had to be leaking. I imagine that is where a lot of the backfire was coming from. Anyhow, Thanks for the FYI on the law, I was not aware.

is that riser the one that comes up from the intake and goes to the carb, or the ones on the exhaust manifold, behind the engine?

i blocked them off on my 302, the ones on the exhaust. my engine was a little newer so i didn;t have the intake heat riser for the carb but you won't need that either unless you are running a stock carb. take off everything but don;t throw away the egr valve. sometimes you need that or it will back fire, i cannot remember why though but keep it on the shelf so if you have trouble you can bolt it back on really quickly to use it to help trouble shoot

Back